Home General Discussion

Are high quality "ugly" heads easier to sculpt than high quality "handsome/beautiful" heads?

When practicing fast sculpting exercises, I find that is easier for me to make a good quality head if it is "Ugly" than trying to make a beautiful/handsome head. Of course with an "ugly" old man's head, proportions can be a bit off and wrinkles make the sculpt look cool. My question to you is:

Is it harder to make beautiful/handsome characters than ugly characters?

I made this head in 20 min, and I would start with secondary and tertiary details and leave the proportions "ugly" like this.

Is it really harder to sculpt what we think as beautiful/handsome faces? Regardless of the taste of what you consider Beautiful/handsome, to make those faces do you need more care of the proportions?

Your thoughts?

https://strawpoll.com/polls/e2nav1WdvgB

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

yeah it is harder. tiny details that are hard to notice can make a person go from ugly to beautiful

regardless of subjective opinion on looks though, the main thing is that doing a likeness is much harder than just making stuff up

• dMartinezMoreno

Following what Alex_J said, doing likeness of a "not very attractive person" would be harder than making up a "handsome/beautiful" face?

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

A high quality head is hard to sculpt/model period. A generic head is a lot easier to judge. Daz software has great models you can use as reference. Start with whole body studies. Alternate between men and women. Start from low rez to high rez. As you get better branch your practice out to include age variation and possibly physical variation.

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth

Youth and beauty are harder to sculpt imo. I think it's because the forms are much more subtle and therefore have a smaller room for error and take a certain patience to get down into a sculpt.

Though, proportions have to be correct regardless and isn't why it's harder. Proportions is the foundation you will lay either type of face on. Get that wrong and there is only so much you can do with sculpting double chins on to hide it until you just have a deformed person that's not in a usual range.

Suble youthful face structures are just as defined as an old persons. It's just harder to read, interprete and be delicate enough in your sculpting skill to get them all working in aesthetic unison than some old dudes face.

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

ugly is easier