Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - question: normal map darker on the upper side

I've been learning to use substance painter and the sculpt->make-normal-map-for-low-poly-mesh pipeline. I'm trying to make some textures and normal maps for bricks, stone and wood, baked them through substance painter, and they all turn out like that:

Instead of something like that:

My issue is that there seems to be more purple at the top and more green at the bottom. Is this normal? In the blender viewport the material looks weird, too, they go from light to dark although they should be similar. Is this wrong? Am I doing something wrong?

The high poly 3d models are all fine, all the bricks are equal in extrusion.

Replies

• Benjammin
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin polycounter lvl 6

Looks like your low poly normals are skewed, which means the map is being baked from a different angle at the top. What does your low poly geo look like?

• 3dsStacey

Yeah, I thought so too about the baking from a weird angle, but I don't know a lot about it so I didn't find anything specific. Here's the low and high poly of my "bricks", the normal map on the screenshot above:

The high poly is a "box" and the low poly model is just two planes, IDK if that has anything to do with it.

Here's another one that had the normals going darker to lighter for no reason, again top to bottom:

It's either something really obscure or, most probably, something really obvious that I'm missing on.

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Try with average normals ticked off in the baking options. Read about the common parameters here.

Generally, check out the wiki and stickied threads to learn more about skewing and baking in general.

• 3dsStacey

Thank you. I searched a lot about this issue, but couldn't find anything, didn't think it would be right there. I'm pretty sure you're right, I'm going to try it when I get home. Thanks!

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

Are you baking with a cage or does the target mesh have soft normals?

Both of those will cause skewing which would explain the artefacts you're seeing