Home Career & Education

Advice on where to take my portfolio/ which pieces to focus on.

ypielet
triangle
Offline / Send Message
ypielet triangle

Looking for Portfolio advice/critique! Thank you in advance!

https://www.artstation.com/ypielet/albums/8017853

Replies

• Lukes3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukes3D triangle

Doing a quick overview of your portfolio, you seem to have alot of incomplete models. Non textured meshes, and pieces of models. Head only, no body, etc.

I would work on finishing each piece. It's also a little hard to tell that the images are actually 3d models, since they have a 2D cartoon style. I would light them more like your rabbit to make it more obvious that they are 3d models.

Other things..

1. Try putting the lantern in an actual scene like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/324774424905 Right now it looks kind of dull at a flat camera angle.
    2. Contrast the model more from the background. The beaver shares the same color as the background.

I think your painting skills are pretty good. The chicken is especially well done.

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

you're in a great position. i feel you have a great sense for the sweet and cute and your work and taste is aligned with your goal. what i would want to see from a candidate for a project like the one you seek, is exactly the type of subject you have on display. creating and presenting the type of work you want to be making is the right way to go about things.

if you're able, showcasing well made traditional studies would be beneficial. with these art styles form, craftsmanship, and color are rather paramount. beautiful mix media studies display a competence in adaptive visual communication, wherein an art's style is the actual restriction that is being worked around or being utilized. you want to display control over restriction, clean dynamic line, clean form, exacting color, strong silhouette. anything unclear should feel impertinent, nothing should prompt a viewer to ask, "and what is that little part there?"

what i feel will strengthen your current work is to display much, much more diligence in the processes. with cartoony characters although simple on the surface require very clean construction to further emphasize their clean form and stand out. corner-cutting is inevitable in a production environment, an undesired reality but, for a portfolio piece it is counter intuitive. it takes time and effort, but displaying clean model work will be of benefit here. efficient loops, hand packed UVs, lit surfaces (don't use unlit for everything), no lazy shortcuts.

this lowpoly work is pretty sluggy (my terminology). i love gaining a win with a cut corner and working smart. again, it happens, it's understandable when a producer is breathing down your neck but NOT what we want to see as de facto standard. regarding lowpoly work, do not display something that appears to have had a smooth modifier applied to it, that's lazy, make it correctly. do not leave behind sub-d support edging in your lowpoly, that's unclean, these cuts are for sub-d edge control, not for lowpoly efficiency, clean shading, nor deformation. finally actually reduce the polycount, it's what a lowpoly mesh is FOR. your lowpoly shouldn't look as dense as the highpoly.

overall, your work displays a very great sense of what's at the heart of this style you love and i think you have a lot of promise. but from my experience, those i see succeed with this type of thing, have the traits i'm trying to impress upon you. best of luck.

• ypielet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ypielet triangle

Lukes3D: Thank you for the feedback, great points!

Cory: Thank you also! I'm still learning about good topology and did not know that I shouldn't show things with smooth modifier on for low poly or not have support edges in low poly, I wish my classes emphasized topology more because I definitely still struggle knowing where to have loops and where not to. That bag was actually made in one of my first classes I ever took and focused on production modeling, so I'm kinda bummed/confused the topology is so off.

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

ah, i see... well, a simple remedy would be to refrain from displaying the wireframe for this one and share some nice clean geo from another piece of yours.

• ypielet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ypielet triangle

Makes sense! Thanks again