Home Unreal Engine

If I don't know Unreal, should I still learn Unreal 4 if I want to get a job?

ned_poreyra
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ned_poreyra polycounter lvl 4

I suspect that majority of studios still use Unreal 4 even for games that just started development and it'll take at least 3-4 years before Unreal 5 pushes out 4. Am I right?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

there isnt any major difference between engine versions. ue5 just some rendering features you can toggle on/off. If you know ue4 you know 5.

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

If you plan to make content for games, it makes sense to learn how to import and setup assets in engine at a basic level, so you can check them in a projects environment. It's common to look things up as you go, engine documentation for example.

• samjahraus

The only annoyance with ue5 right now is it's still a bit buggy. But other than that it's a direct upgrade of ue4 so putting time into either of them is useful no matter what engine a specific company uses!

• killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

not all industry roles require working within an editor but put simply, when rubber meets road, large team games are made with editors. if the role you want requires using an editor, and your goal is to get hired for that role based on your ability, learn and showcase with ue3, 4, 5, it doesn't matter. what matters is that you can wield at least one at a reliable level for mid-production. knowing one editor, makes learning different implementations of standard, practical concepts easier.