Home General Discussion

How about MidJourney or other AI art

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
rollin polycounter

Did not found any current post about this:

Testing MidJourney for the last two days and it is really mindblowing.

Anyone testing it too?

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

too much noise for me, discord is a mess and i am too cheap to pay for it :D

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter

For being a make-art button it is quite interesting as it can pump out so many quite good and super quick idea-to-paper (kind of) iterations.

I see this as a big win in the idea and style exploration phase of any project.. as it is kind of browsing artstation the fast way ;)

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character

I've been playing around with Midjourney for a few weeks now and I absolutely love it. I'm using the paid version, the free version is pretty much non-functional because of how the discord feed is set up.

I mainly use it for ideation, thumbnailing and as a jumping of points for illustrations; think, photo-bashing but without having to look for photos.

Im pretty much convinced this is the future at this point, not now, but give it a few years and AI will ideate and render while you act as an art director for the AI to get the result you need.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

It's a nightmare on there.

I love this stuff though. It generates fantastic jumping off points for projects

I'm looking forward to making a dal-e 2 implementation trained exclusively on my twitter feed

• icegodofhungary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    icegodofhungary interpolator

I got into over this past weekend and it's been a blast. Like others said, really great for starter ideas. It's extremely hard to coax a good texture out of it though to use as a basis in a substance. If adobe ever adds ai generation for textures to Substance, then that'll be just about perfect.

https://i.imgur.com/sI9JEQS.png

https://i.imgur.com/9LkV3JE.png

https://i.imgur.com/K7P325G.png

https://i.imgur.com/qfMNdu4.jpg

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

i think i'll continue to make art, even if a programmer can do it better, i mean i've narrowed my entire life toward making art since a child, i really have nothing else anyway.

• Tiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth

It's just another pencil. It will shake the artists world up for sure, with Stable Diffusion being free even more. But it will never make artists obsolete. It's still the artist that creates the art.

The downside of AI generated art is that the pencil is sometimes not willing to paint what the painter really wants. It's a pretty fast pencil though. I love it :)

• Iwazaruk7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iwazaruk7 polycounter lvl 2

These solutions might be very handy in "production" with deadlines.

While for your own enjoyment, it feels better to do from scratch.

• Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth

You can create your own discord server, invite the midjourney bot and then have a private server with channels. No noise there :)

Midjourney is crazy. But its also raises some interesting questions about where they got all the art from which they used to learn the neural network.

Its really a grayzone to me in terms of artist recognition.

Anyways, here are some of my experiments with midjourney:

• another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth

hi! Very nice content in this thread! Is there an ai art generation tool available that'd take a capture of a level blocking and garnish it up / concept-art for you?

• orangesky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    orangesky polycounter lvl 3

If all artists are going to be art directors, there is not going to be enough work to absorb all the artists that are currently working in video game companies, film, advertising, publishing....

Only a handful of them are going to be enough to "create original art" if this technology ends up being as you are mentioning, we are going to have a problem. The frustration of having invested thousands of dollars in education only to have a company prefer an AI that does it all at the push of a button is going to be insufferable. Sites like Artstation, Polycount and many others will cease to be useful for work and will only be used by artists who continue to make art on a personal level as entertainment, without the possibility of being able to live from their passion.

I don't know how the future will be in the industries where artists currently have possibilities to work, but I imagine that every day it will be more difficult to find a job in a company if the AI compete against us or cause that only a third of the staff is needed to achieve results at the production level. 

With this text I do not want to say that AI are bad, but they can cause very bad side effects for people who are in the art industry seen as a commercial product.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

I'm not sure how far Mr maximov got with his startup (Prometheus was the name I think)

You could have a Google.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It's Promethean AI, and it's actually pretty slick.