Home General Discussion

How often do you disagree with your peers/superiors?

ned_poreyra
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ned_poreyra polycounter lvl 4

Not necessarily openly, just in general, regardless of whether you voice it out or not.

I mean disagree artistically of course - on what looks good and what doesn't; what direction should the project take etc.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

guy i work for is a complete fucking moron

• killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

objection; leading the witness. (75% of the time)

• killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

early in my career i was hyper critical. my natural approach in improving my own work was to identify what was disliked and change it. i've found when collaborating with a group it's good to get out of the way of others, encourage your leaders, and entrust those given directive roles and responsibilities. if you're patient that thing that bothers you may actually fix itself in time. if an opportunity presents itself, you can highlight it. let your directors direct, designers design, your artists art, your programmers program. hyper focused feedback from multiple sources can be overwhelming. forgive at least some shortcomings for the sake of progress, as nothing is perfect and every project in the end is a gamble. it's more valuable to grow together as a team.

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

@Alex_J - statement of the year 👍️

High tempo team driven environments I've been 'fortunate' at times collecting a pay check, overwhelmingly in my experience demand heads-down-arse-up adherence but on the other hand rank does have it's privileges....anyway hence why I'm fomenting atm potential self employment avenues going forward.

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character

I came to write something clever and insightful, and here you are basically stealing the words out of my mouth, this 100%. I'm always surprised how much stuff actually just solves itself if you just stay cool for a bit hehe.

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

Frequently , and I am open about it - always have been.

If you let something you think is shit go by without raising it, you are guilty of making the end product worse than it needs to be. It doesn't matter whether its within your discipline or not, making video games is a team sport and you all suffer if its crap and nobody buys it.

Obviously you need to offer constructive, well reasoned criticism and if your opinion is overruled by an art director or design director then you need to accept that they know better because it's them with the wider vision in their head.

It's very rare that well meaning and well constructed critique is not gratefully received - in situations where it isn't, who's the asshole really?

• Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator

At this early point in my career, it feels rewarding being able to create stuff other people envision, while adding my own twist without clashing. I only get a bit sad when we have to compromise quality for the project to run smoothly.

But I've been told there is a lot of clashing in projects where there are too many senior level artists.

Senior = strongly opinionated 😂

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter

Sometimes I get critique on my work, and I internally disagree and think what I've done is already awesome. When I address the notes and change the art, and it usually ends up looking better. I've just learned to take the critique and run with it, they are paying me after all.

• chien
    Online / Send Message
    chien polycounter lvl 13

they always think they are right, but no proof they are right, even mention they are better, i don't care about this supervisor anymore because meet type like them all the time alot of times, staff at bottom will not even follow them so will have many conflict, i will keep disagree until supervisor can explain and convince, i only had 1 supercisor that i respect and learn with before, others their own oppinion

• zetheros
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator

It really depends on how long you've been working in a team imo. If you find yourself disagreeing a lot, it's either not the right place for you, or you're the smartest person in the room, and therefore it's not the right place for you once again. So, either more mentoring is needed, or they should promote you to a lead lol

To answer the question though; not a lot since I work indie and everyone knows how everyone else operates, and there's a high degree of trust.