Homeβ€Ί 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Anna Steel-Broom the Witch

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ArtMattgeddon polycounter lvl 5

πŸ‘‹ I figured I would give this character I'm working on it's own thread outside of my digital sketchbook thread (which you can find a link to at the bottom of this post)

I'm gonna be working from this concept by https://www.artstation.com/jianfengxing.

I feel like it will push me to work on more complicated hard surface and clothing sculpting as well as a good chance to improve my texture work with all the different materials this concept includes. And who doesn't like a good witch design lol

I've got the face mostly in place going to work on blocking out all the clothing next and adjusting things as needed.

Always open to feedback! Anything I can do to improve as I go on this project is good to know! 😊

Replies

• Grubber
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 14

Great start! The concept is very cool, especially the broom :) Will be interesting to see how you tackle it. Good luck!

• ArtMattgeddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I've started blocking out the major pieces of clothing

I've held off on a few pieces for now while I work on some of the hard surface areas that will be around them like the chains other smaller pieces of cloth

I've been modeling the hard surface parts in blender side by side with it and found a nice way to do the chains using blender's curves and modifier stack that gives me a lot of control.

Thanks! 😊

• ArtMattgeddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Finished up blocking everything out last week..

I've gotten some feedback and been chipping away adjusting things and getting down to detailing the sculpt piece by piece.

Again I'm always open to feedback! 😊

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

i feel like the hands feel a bit too masculine. i think its mostly the fingertips being pretty "shovel-y"

besides some cleanup here and there especially on folds feeling random at times, i just noticed a small detail i think you should fix. your chain has 2 welds per link, usually its one metal rod that gets bent and welded in only one place. your construction would snap the moment you put force on it. really minor as these chains are just decorative here, but yeah ^^

• Bolovorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolovorix ngon master

I really like how the character is turning out and can't wait to her textured and posed!

I agree with Neox about the hands feeling more on the masculine side and wanted to share a reference that I typically use when doing female hands.

While this is 2D I found that using the straight tops and curved undersides, along with breaking down the fingers to 2 sections has given good results in 3D.

Rounding out where the nails extrude from the finger can help soften them a bit more also.

Excited to see more progress!

• ArtMattgeddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Been chipping away at this some more here and there.

I made some changes to face to match closer with the feeling of the concept sketches.

I changed up the hands to try and make them softer and less shovel-y like rounding out the parts where the nails extrude. I'll probably go back a little later and merge the nails with the hand and clean it up some more. The welds on the chain completely slipped my mind but it was a simple fix thanks for the feedback! πŸ˜„

I may do some marvelous designer tests to see how simulated cloth looks with this model but I'll probably end up sculpting it by hand anyway πŸ˜…. Does anyone have some good resources or guides on approaching sculpting cloth?

• Bolovorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolovorix ngon master

Nice improvements on the hands!

As far as stylized cloth goes you can't really go wrong with J.C. Leyendecker. Bunching up blankets/sheets to imitate what is happening in the concept is also a good method for reference.

Another thing about cloth is learning some of the more common "patterns" or behaviors that happen in folds.

This is a pretty good image demonstrating them: