Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Reinhardt Overwatch 2 WIP

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
JackHannah polycounter lvl 2
I'll try and start to be more active with this account and showcase my artwork up on here. This will include the finished piece and Work in progress piece. Feel free to give CC and Feedback

Artstation Portfolio Link: https://www.artstation.com/jack_hannah

Replies

• JackHannah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

My challenge and goal for (2021) to actually finish off my work in progress characters and 3D Print them. I wanted to share and show what I've done in my spare time while working and studying last year. Hope you like to see what is to come for (2021) and also if I inspire you to do the same with your work.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Xn9Vdy
  • JackHannah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Reinhardt |  Overwatch 2 | Deathknight Skin

Moodboard / Thought Process

For this personal project, I want to make the process as productive as possible and have a tone of fun designing Reinhardt's mech suit then implement Reinhardt into Unreal Engine 4 and make him as close as possible to Overwatch 2 Artstyle.

If you are up to date with Shadowlands and Warcraft storyline, they have been 2 mortals that have worn the Helm of Domination, Arthas Menethil and Bolvar Fordragon. So, Who do I chose to influence the design? 

A or B Conveniently enough...

I'm more leaning towards Arthas Lich King design because of his nostalgia for World of Warcraft. As his design is so recognisable to fans of World of warcraft and even to people who haven't played Warcraft, they know who he is and it fits the Role of being Tank / Brawler for Overwatch 2. Plus with the added Ice ability for Reinhardt in PVE would be super fitting to play as a Frost DK in Overwatch 2.

Bolvar's Design is amazing as I intend to use his War hammer design to influence Reinhardt Hammer design. As it looks insane in the cinematic and would be crazy to see that in-game when Reinhardt uses his Ultimate ability creating a radius Blizzard Storm and forming Ice spike around the environment. Stunning and them in place...

Saying that DeathKnights have 3 specs in total:

• Blood
    • Frost
    • UnHoly

So,  potentially I have 2 different skin set to make for Reinhardt for those specs. 

Reinhardts' Armour development 

Overwatch 2 Reinhardts' Face 

I updated the Orginal Reinhardt head I created in 2017 when I was a student at Teesside University. I roughly sculpted the head to fit the Overwatch 2 head design of Reinhardt. As this would be good practice and also have an accurate awareness of space for when I'm designing the Helmet of Domination, the one that's wasn't snapped in two... anyways here are some of the development I did last night. 

Overwatch 2 Reinhardts' Helmet Development
    [ No  Beard ]

[ No  Beard ]

[ Beard ]

[ Beard ]

[ Cover Mask ]

[ Cover Mask ]

Feel free to send me a message, Feedback and CC. It's most welcome I'll try and stay as active as I can on Polycount to respond to you.

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    for an overwatch looking thing, i think you rely too much on sculpting and too little on actually modelling.

means, it looks a little noodly and not clean and precise like overwatch does.
  • JackHannah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah very true, I'm using my time as efficient as I can. So I don't waste any time in refining asset that doesn't work in 3D. Hence why parts of the character look very noodly as I spent like 2 hours last night just working on it, changing the head and pushing some ideas across until I have a set Idea of what and how the character is going to look like. I'd rather spend 5 mins messing around with quick ideas than spend hours 

As I want to have a solid foundation before I go ham with detail and cleaning up the mesh  =)
  • JackHannah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Overatch 2 Reinhardts Development 
    | WIP |

It's been a while since my last post no more noodle sculpting, as I went through a burnout stage with the development of the Death knight design of Reinhardt, for the original skin from Overwatch and was trying to blend designs from both OW, OW2, and World of Warcraft.

Also, I felt that they are too many resources online of Reinhardt's mesh from OW being ripped from the Games files, and would be too easy to claim ownership of the Hard work done by the character Artist at Blizzard Activation. I wouldn't feel that I accomplished or achieved with myself of making an Overwatch character and in a way cheating. So, my goal is to make Reinhardt from Overwatch 2 and get as close as I can and game-ready.

I always strive to Inspire, Learn, challenge myself, Improve and keep moving forward. As when Overwatch came out, I knew I wanted to learn how to make characters from Overwatch.

Still, a little more work to go but nearly there. Looking forward to starting to texture and getting Him in UE4 and hopefully get him rigged for some dope animations to show off as well. 

• JackHannah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Overwatch 2 Reinhardt Development
    | WIP |

Spent some time making Reinhardt weapon assets (Rocket Hammer and Energy shield) Found some missing details looking back at my references, won't take long but ready for retopo, and then finally texturing in substance painter. 

• JackHannah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

UE4 Update 1

Its been awhile since I posted an update of Reinhardt on here. I'm not too concerned with overall texture quality at the moment as I can always spend more time and add more textures later on to enhance the model and refine the texture maps.

Currently in [Unreal Engine] UE4.27. Just showcasing Reinhardt in my Texture Test lighting scene for now. Until I do a nice animation showcase of him with some more up close shots and animations, might want to collaborated with an animator and rigger to help me out but I'll see how I go.

Full view of the Energy shield and Rocket Hammer, I wanted to get the shield VFX inputted in at least for when the shield activates just for posing or animation. It's not Interactable where you can shoot at it and the shield will have a ripple affect or crack where you shoot at but a nice touch for added detail for showcasing what the shield dose.

This shot is just a decimated version of the high poly of Reinhardt that I modelled. I used the UE4 mannequin as a height reference to be close enough to what Tracer height is from overwatch. Only the Mech Suit and Reinhardt's Head and Hair to go!

[ End Goal ] When everything is done, I'll be using this to create all the different skin ideas I have had over the years on Pinterest and actually creating them 😂 As I started this project off making a Death knight version of him, but it didn't have a solid design of foundation to work from but I'll make it happen this time.