Home Technical Talk

Efficient Ways to Decrease Polycount Mesh

I use ZBrush's Decimation Master often when I need to reduce the polygons of a mesh.

I would like to leave this topic open for possible workflows and their efficiencies.

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666

Most efficient is to build a new mesh by hand. With retopo tools or with polymodeling.

• Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth

Define efficient. No issue with decimation for a non skinned mesh imo.

As long as you fix the sometimes weird triangulation creating huge angle shifts.

• Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth

Maya Reduce with reduction weight painting if I need to preserve UVs (for LODS, usually), Decimation Master if I don't (technically it keeps UVs but can mess them up around seams). There's been occasions when I've used Unreal's auto LOD tools and exported the results.

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter

Decimation master in zbrush isn't the best. It tends to create some very bad triangulation - lots of very thin or overlapping triangles. But if you've made your mesh in zbrush it's decent as long as you look out for the issues.

You can get pretty good results from zRemesher if you want a quad-ified mesh but it also has it's quirks.

My current favorite is to use houdini. It has some very good trianglulation controls if you know what you're doing.