Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Worried about my portfolio

Hey all! So I've been applying to entry level 3D generalist and character artist positions but I haven't had much luck, I have had some work however that was a while ago, and recently I haven't had much luck in getting anything, my portfolio is definitely lacking.

My portfilio:

https://www.artstation.com/colbydiamond

my concerns off the bat are:

•Some of my characters have a "Style" to them, I'm not sure what scale of a turn off that is or if it is one.

•Most of my characters are rigged and have face tracking and such but I don't know if I should bother showing that off more or cut that out completely as I'm not going for those positions really. (on that note, I have a strong feeling I should cut the face tracking ue4 setup thing but I think it's neat so I've been on the fence) I was told to have some examples that show off that you know where your work fits in the pipeline but I don't know how else I would show that.

• I feel like I have a case of "I've been looking at my own stuff for too long" and while I feel like it would be decent enough to get something entry level or an intern position, I think I need some feedback on it.

So, purge it all? keep some? I don't know. Thanks for reading my spiel and helping out.

Replies

• Temppe
    Offline / Send Message
    Temppe polycounter lvl 12

I'll give you my thoughts. Keep in mind that I'm a student too, not a pro (yet).

The apartment and the sword look out of place in a character portfolio and are not of a high enough standard.

There is a high proportion of sexualised baby-faced females in submissive poses. This is a very subjective opinion and it might seem a bit harsh, but I think you should be able to do a variety of characters if you want to call youself a character artist. You mention that your characters have a "style", but it comes off to me as an inability to create other kinds of characters.

The textures and materials are very basic. Granted they are stylised, but the materials still need more attention. (I think the first two are okay in this regard, but the rest need work.)

The fingers on the Dualist look like sausage shaped balloons. I can't see much of the anatomy because of the armour, but the bits I can see don't look that good to be honest.

All portfolio pieces should be properly lit and rendered - NO Zbrush screenshots ever.

Some of the face anatomy looks off. Especially the pink haired Angel Girl bust.

The skeleton study of the rapter is cool. But if would make more sense to do one for a human. I would still leave this one in though.

So...

1) Get rid of the following: Lotus Rapier, Angel Girl Bust, Apartment Renders, Zbrush Quicksculpt Creature, Scarylegs, Metahuman Face Capture Test, Cute Spray Overwatch Characters. Your portfolio should ONLY have complete projects, not screenshots of WIPS, tests, experiments etc.

2) Rework the remaining pieces paying attention to the anatomy (especially the face) and EXPRESSION/BODYLANGUAGE (in my opinion this is as important as anatomy, if not more so). Then take some time to create some good materials. You might be able to reuse these materials in other projects so it's worth taking time.

3) Properly light and render the models. Pay attention to camera position, maybe some depth of field (not too much!), have some close ups as well. Your wireframe shots should get the same level of TLC as your beauty shots.

I realise this is a lot of work But to perfectly frank, I don't think your work is of a high enough standard right now. It will take some more time. Work hard, but make sure your effort is FOCUSED at the same time.

Going beyond the reworking of these projects here, I would prioritise the following: anatomy, expression, variety of sex, age, body type etc, then materials, texturing, then lighting and rendering. I wouldn't worry at all about rigging or face tracking.

I hope that helps.

• Invisibeetle

Thanks for your input, you're definitely right on all counts here, I'll make the cuts you suggested and try to vary new things I add to it. you're right too about the style thing, I have to change it up as well as work on the points you've given me. It does help a lot, thanks!

• killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

hi, best of luck in your grind.

i think what will serve your goal for being taken into the fold of a studio is working toward developing pieces that showcase work that is directly applicable to game development practices.

your work should display common practices used in the industry, which you can see in the works of developers currently working in the field by studying newly released games and from what is shared publicly.

personal work is great as long as it looks less like general art study and more like executing development techniques.

if you are likable and easy to get along with share the views of a company and have the skills they need, you will be a viable hiring option.

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

Practice sculpting figures, not just faces, the whole thing. Loads of figures, and then some. Start on attractive ones and go from there.

• Frankythebeast
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankythebeast polycounter lvl 4
  • Invisibeetle

Thanks, I appreciate the advice, that's the way forward then. so @killnpc for going off what's already there as an example in the coffeegirl, should I post the textures and shaders with it or some captures of it working in engine? or would what's already there be good but in a "alright, just make what's there actually good" sort of way?

• killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

i think getting the asset in a game engine would be great. showcasing your concept, sculpt, game geometry, shader and uvs is also very good. there is a technical need for game art that when you present your work this way, i believe it helps align the work to the purpose of a game art portfolio. when you show this type of work, make sure it also looks nice and neat, smart and tighty. some people appreciate well organized uvs for example. use the resources made available on this site obtain an understanding of "the correct way" for each phase and then show it off. once you're in however, allow yourself to be flexible, when you're on a team you may need to be able to use whichever conventions are put in place. certainly make the model as best you can make it, that above everything will make you stand out.

• Invisibeetle

ok awesome, yeah I saw there's some cool stuff on here for that, I'll check it out, that'll be my next project then putting that together. Thanks a lot, it's really helpful!