Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] Flower Shop in Unreal 4

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Minai polycounter lvl 2

Hello everyone,

I would like to share the environment I worked on during my CGMA class environment art mentored by Peyton Varney.

It was intense and the vegetation was a real challenge, but I did it and I am happy of my piece.

Hope you will enjoy it also!

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/9NZrmQ

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Hey congrats! Like the shape of the house and the fluffy roof!

I think the style of the background clashes a bit with the shop (looks more "realistic" - maybe cause of the trees?) and some surfaces look bit clean/new (considering roof is overgrown).

All the best for the next project!

• Grubber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 14

I agree with Fabi_G.

But in general really nice and cozy shop :) And I like the animation on artstation.

• OhWhy_art
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OhWhy_art node

The environment looks really lovely, well done! My only issue is about functionality - I mean, you've got a couple of chimneys here that are effectively blocked with plants 😉 It gives the building a nice shape, certainly, but you know, could be problematic in terms of explaining the story behind it.

Here's a vid about the 'form vs function' problem, could be useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R92hhYaX_Q

• Minai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minai polycounter lvl 2

Thank you for your feedback Fabi_G! You are right, adding vegetation climbing on walls or foam (particularly on the brick texture) would have been a good idea. I am a bit sad that I didn't think of it before doing the render :) hehe It is definitively worth to go back in the scene for that, at least I'll test it and see

For the background and trees, I understand what you mean, as I improvised them (They were not in the original concept) I am not surprise that they didn't match very well with the house :')

Thank you Grubber :)

I took a look at your Artstation and I really love your drones ^^

Thank you for your link OhWhy_art! It was very interesting!

About the chimneys, I agree with you but I only followed as much as possible the original concept "Flower Shop" from lok du.

For the story, I would say that probably the chimneys were active in the old days, before becoming a Flower shop or something like that ^ but they definitively are not anymore hihi ^^

• simonBreumier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    simonBreumier greentooth

Nice little shop! I took the environment course as well for the next session so seing this is really encouraging for me ☺️

If you're still seeking for feedbacks, I'd say on your first image, everything is a bit on the same plane, and the focus point could stand out more. The background rocks/ground have similar values (and even similar colors) than the shop, so my eyes tend to look at everything, instead of focusing on the flower shop. Maybe you could add some slight background fog to make it stand out more. You could also use a less constant lighting over the whole place, like adding cloud shadows to create some nice variations and maybe increase again the focus on the shop.