Home Marmoset

Normal map baking issue

vlaint
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
vlaint polycounter lvl 6

Hi. Benn stuck with this issue for a couple of days now when baking the hi res details of a mesh it would output some artifacts. I've made sure that every intersecting geo has their own respective bake groups. Cage offset is good and doesn't change no matter where the slider is. I've tried edge padding to zero just to check and still the same. I tried moving the said part to its own separate baker and it bakes without issues. I tried just putting the said piece via photoshop however the paddings intersect with the other UV isles. Any solutions to this? Its my first time UV unwrapping and baking so maybe I'm doing something wrong. Any tips would be appreciated as I'm still learning

Replies

• vlaint
    Offline / Send Message
    vlaint polycounter lvl 6

Made a new scene and re-did all bake groups again. Although the prior bake error got resolved it transferred to another island.

• EarthQuake

Can you double-check that the corresponding high poly mesh object is aligned with the low?

• vlaint
    Offline / Send Message
    vlaint polycounter lvl 6

I don't seem to see any offset from low and high poly mesh. Things I've done lately is reinstalled 3 different versions of radeon software including the pro. Currently at pro since they said it works better for dev software but still the same problem. Also the problem doesn't seem to be the quiver since if I make a new scene and make a set of bake groups the problem seems to jump to another mesh.

• EarthQuake

Yeah, the alignment appears to be fine here. I'm not sure what this might be, we'll have to look into the issue. Would it be possible for you to send over the .tbscene file? If so, please email to support@marmoset.co with a description of the problem, along with your computer specs (operating system, CPU, RAM, GPU, GPU driver version, VRAM) - thanks

• vlaint
    Offline / Send Message
    vlaint polycounter lvl 6

So I figured I'll just save this for later and do the other ones first. But same thing with a much simpler mesh.

• vlaint
    Offline / Send Message
    vlaint polycounter lvl 6

The scene is over 2gb though. I'll send the other one that's displaying the same issue. Hope it would still output the same error.

• EarthQuake

Okay thanks, yes if the problem reproduces in a simpler scene that is ideal.

• vlaint
    Offline / Send Message
    vlaint polycounter lvl 6

Been in contact with them. Still no clear solution as of now though. Sometimes this happens if it doesn't crash or show those other weird artifacts.

• vlaint
    Offline / Send Message
    vlaint polycounter lvl 6

Since I haven't been able to move on much, I just finally decided to just bake them separately and not in the same groups since they seem to work without issue that way.

Using masks with and without padding to copy and paste the normals in photoshop. The mask without padding is so I can erase intersecting padding without going too far. I had to combine the other maps like ao, curvature, alphamask, uvisland, objid this way as well though I'm not sure if that's necessary. Since this is my first time and don't really know the purpose of each those maps, I did it on all of them just to be sure.

I don't seem to see any problems so far on the viewer with ao and normals. I dunno where curvature goes. The others I can guess are masks for texturing.

I guess this is only a temporary solution and I would still very much like to figure out what's causing the issue above.

• vlaint
    Offline / Send Message
    vlaint polycounter lvl 6

Just an update on this. As expected, another of my bake was showing the same issue. This time I decimated my high poly mesh and tried again and it baked perfectly. I decimated the rest of my hi polys and so far haven't encountered the artifact issue above. So maybe I was just running out of Vram.