Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

HELP!!! I suck at making faces.

Offline / Send Message
Pinned

Hi, I'm having trouble making faces, can anyone help me giving feedback?

I got different references, because I'm following a tutorial e the reference provided is really low res, so I tried to get another one, in the end it's a mix between the one I got and the tutorial one.

The parts that I have most trouble are: zygomatic bone, jaw line, eye socket, mouth and chin. If you spot something else that haven't been listed, feel free to point it out.

Many times I watch tutorials and courses who show good results really fast, I realized that many times I just give up too fast, maybe my problem is that I just didn't give enough time. Faces are something that I always struggle with, I don't feel confident making them. Here are some other attempts:

But there are some faces that I made that I'm really proud of, like this ones:

Thx for reading, I appreciate the help!

Replies

• nexussim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nexussim polygon

Not sure how valid my opinion is, but from what I've researched, it seems the best way to improve is quantity. Make a TON of sculpts. Each time you will no doubt improve on the last one. It can be an easy trap to keep trying to improve the same sculpt for days on end or something, when it would be a lot more beneficial to just make more and more faces over and over and over and each time evaluate what doesn't seem right and think of how you can do better next time? I like the last stylized one :)

Also, I know of an incredible course for making faces/heads. Just ask if you want to know. (Unsure if sharing courses is fine on this forum?)

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character

To fix what you have will require more knowledge then to make a new one , there is barely anything correct so what every you learn will be an improvement

My suggestion is to do the exactly same thing but this tile slowly

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

My own method; put a free app like Daz on a screen next to you. Dont copy the figure but use it as reference while you work. It's a wonder to be able to have a guide on proportions and how stuff connects up that you can rotate in real time. Also, I would sketch whole figures instead of concentrating on one aspect.

• tellme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I'm not gonna say quantity over quality here. Find a good 3d model with a realistic face (I sometimes use sites with ripped game models for that, it's legal as long as you only use them for education purposes), or several, and use them as reference, but don't copy blindly. Most importantly, look at the curvature of the mouth and the eyelids from above and from below, see what curve they make, where it starts and where it ends, the angle between the end points. Look at them from sides, how far their corners go, the angle between the upper and lower lip or eyelid. For example I can see that in the side view your eye corner goes too far back, making the eyes too wide, which probably makes you want to compensate by making them bigger vertically, opening the eyelids more, then to avoid surprised look on the face you increase eyelid size and end up with disproportionally big eyes. That's how it would go for me anyway. See how one small change affects the proportions of the entire face. Judging by the shape of your eyes I guess you're not making asian ones so I recommend setting them deeper to get a more natural look. Also I recommend creating an indication of the iris on the eye sphere. The irises shouldn't look dead straight, they should be rotated out a little, that will help with creating a correct eye shape too.

• Terpsichore72
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Terpsichore72 polycounter lvl 3

One thing that really helped me is the book Anatomy for Sculptors, it really helps breaking down every volumes of the face and the body! Making a blockout with simple shapes first makes the volumes easier to get right, and then expand on that.

Also, drawing really really helps for sculpts! I sometimes do painting studies of my references before I translate it into 3D, to understand them better. Zbrush workflow (at least for me) is quite close to drawing in a lot of ways so it can definitely help!