Home Adobe Substance

High to low baking issues in substance painter.

Hello, I am having some trouble with a model I created. I cannot work out why I am getting errors around one of the handels after baking in substance painter. I have changed the UV's to only include the handles as I thought they might have had too little uv space orignally but I am still getting these issues. The models are lined up in 3ds max but the bake makes it look like they are misaligned. Any insite or help into this would be really appreciated. I have attached some screen shots of the issue in substance painter and my high and low polly model in a zip file. Thanks

Replies

• Woolley

I spent some more time trying different things. I made the max frontal and max rear distance much smaller in the normal baking settings in substance painter. This helped with some of the issues but I am still getting some errors. The rest of the bake has come out pretty well but this area is still giving me problems.

• rexo12
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator

The bake rays are intersecting with neighbouring geometry, particularly as these appear to be non-contiguous pieces. It also looks as though the resolution/texel density is quite low. The best solution would be to use Bake Groups, followed by exploding the model, followed by fiddling with the ray distances until you get something that works.

• Woolley

Ill give that a look at thanks! its weird that the texel resolution would be low as in the first images the geomerty in the screenshot fills the entire UV. I think i was baking at around 1-2k resolution for the tests. I re Uv'd the whole mode and ended up fiddeling with the bake settings a bit more and once some textures are applied its not noticable on the model.

Texture is still very WIP I think i will tone done the rust effect a fair amount. I was going for a very worn sci-fi look. The bright green will be emissive. any critique is more than welcome :)

Thanks

• rexo12
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator

That's definitely a rather low density. Maximising UV area utilisation does not automatically mean texel density will be sufficient, it depends on a triangle of factors: Efficient Unwraps (including how much surface area there is to unwrap within a textureset), target texture resolution, and physical size of the geometry. I can't tell what the scale of the model is, but this looks like the texel density is less than 10.24px/cm, which is (more or less) the baseline these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e6zvJqVqlA

This was at one point the canonical guide to texel density, but it seems that the artist has stopped giving it away for free:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qbOqP

• Woolley

Thanks ill go back and check the models UV's again. The whole model is based on a Dewalt tool box the toughsystem 2.0. its around 53 cm long and 35 wide. so that clasp bit is pretty small overall. I put a screenshot from subtsance painter of what the whole model looks like currently. I am going to mirror the clip onto the other side after i have textured it.

Thanks for the helpful links!

• Benjammin
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin polycounter lvl 6

You'll want to mirror it before baking, otherwise the ambient occlusion around it will not be correct :)

• Woolley

Ah ok yes I will do that, I saw what you were talking about Benjammin when i put the asset back together again, thanks for the note.

I got the asset to a more finished state. Im not crazy about it but I do think it looks a bunch better than the orignal version I did before based on the Dewalt toolkit.

Thank you for all the help :) It gave me a lot to improve on, any further critique is very welcome.