Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback on Portfolio for 3d Artist(beginner).

SauravP
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
SauravP polycounter lvl 3

Hello everyone,

I am a 3d artist trying to specialize and get into the gaming industry as a junior environments/ prop artist, but i feel like my portfolio is lacking something and dont really know what that could be. So, please do give any and all kinds of feedback and critique from a hiring point of view, so as to get a better understanding of what I am lacking.

Portfolio link; https://www.artstation.com/sauravpalliyil

Also,

1. Is it always necessary to have finished environments or can WIP works be added as well?
  2. Can practice works be added into portfolio as well especially for artists trying to break into the industry?
  3. I do find it really hard to choose/decide concepts to work on, so could I get some advice on that aspect as well?

Thank you all for your help.

Replies

• JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    1. I wouldn't put wips in your portfolio personally, it doesn't have to be a full environment though, can be just a single well made prop or a diorama if you wanna do multiple assets. Remember quality over quantity always, better to have one really nice project rather than ten okay ones.
    2. not sure what you mean by practise works, if you mean sketches then I would say no personally but you could put that stuff in a blog post or something if you wanna share it.
    3. honestly just pick stuff that you are excited to work on and reflects the type of work you wanna be hired to do. If you do a single hero asset I would recommend something slightly complicated that can have interesting textures as well. Doesn't hurt to pick something fairly unique if you can, people have seen enough fire hydrants and ak-47's to last a lifetime :P

Right now you just need more experience to build up skill, make some cool shit, don't rush. Spend the time to make stuff as good as you can make it and get feedback on wips.

good luck!

• SauravP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thank you JohannesAg for the feedback. I'll surely be trying to take time in making more work to improve on the skills. Regarding practice works, was talking about zBrush sculpts and such but that wouldn't really be adequate in a portfolio right?

Thanks again..

• rexo12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator

Depends what you're going for but usually no, they are not adequate. My opinion is that they are better suited in a Journal/sketchbook/blog space that you maintain alongside your portfolio - such as here on polycount! If you have a large collection of practice sculpts (say, more than 3 or 5), then that may be enough to warrant its own spot in your portfolio, but know that too many practice pieces may also give the impression that you're unable to finish things, although this is really not a big thing to worry about as a beginner.

As an aside, what works for me for concepts & inspiration is practicing some secondary art/craft skill outside of the digital world, such as photography or sketching (or kit models, or knitting, or woodworking, whatever!) it gives you a different angle to view things from and can help you draw inspiration from the world around you, which is difficult to do from a computer. Some art or coffee table books (with lots of big lovely pictures) can also be a good weapon in your library, I like to go look at the Ghibli art books when i'm feeling a bit out of ideas. Other than that, go to an art gallery or see an exhibition.

good luck!

• SauravP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks rexo12 for your feedback. I actually do try out outdoor sketching at times along with clay modelling, it does help to draw inspiration as you said. Have to try out some art books now!