Home Adobe Substance

How do you make and export a Scatter Map?

DustyShinigami
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
DustyShinigami polycounter lvl 4

Hi

This is a follow on from this thread I made in the Marmoset Toolbag sub-forum: https://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2764779#Comment_2764779

I'm new to making SSS maps and the one map I'm unsure of to make is the Scatter Map so I can add it to my scene in Marmoset. Hopefully it'll allow me to use it in Unreal as well...? Whenever I try to export the SSS out of Substance Painter, all it gives me is a mask and nothing else. So what exactly is the process for making a Scatter Map?

Thanks

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter

Normally SSS doesn't need a map. But it could be handy for various real time cheap SSS fakes . I recall I did it just as emit value multiplied by dot product of camera and light vectors .

Then you could use thickness map and use it as just a binary mask or same time to fake the depth of light penetration or with added RGB channels to give specific color/hue for certain areas .

• DustyShinigami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DustyShinigami polycounter lvl 4

Ooh. I think I've figured it out. :D I was putting my SSS 'mask' into the Mask slot, however, when exporting from Substance Painter with the Unreal Engine SSS (Packed) option, it combines it with the Albedo in the Alpha channel. Instead of putting it into the Mask slot, and then specifying the Alpha channel, like I thought, you put it into the Scatter Map slot. The map exported from SP using that Unreal preset IS the Scatter Map. After that, adjusting the slider for it increases/decreases the strength of the SSS just for the areas in the mask. :) I'm guessing the same approach is done in Unreal as well...?