Home Technical Talk

How Would You Texture a Large Building Like This?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jddg5wa polycounter lvl 8
What kind of techniques might be used to texture the brick/stucco wall on the building below? I'm trying to learn this technique of texturing that doesn't seem to use UV maps, otherwise it would have to be huge. It's also not just one tiled textured as there's no repeating elements, other than the materials themself. Plus there's drip details around the windows and other things and a large detailed graffiti element.

I've done some research and closest I've come to is vertex painting/material layering. Although that seems limited in what software it can be done in. Would that be the only way? Cause otherwise it seems you'd have to do it in something like unreal.

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    vertex painting. material masking with multiple uv channels, texture decals, geometry decals
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is actually quite common, in Unreal, Unity, and in custom engines.

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/MultiTexture#Modulation_Blending

See also the Trim Sheets section below that one.
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    For the building walls it shows you in the link the actual 2 tiling textures that are blended together. It looks like 2 textures vertex blended with a mask/height lerp to fade between them. Noticiable tiling is well hidden as the vertex color is hand crafted.

The drips under the windows are probably a mesh decal placed there. And a few hand placed bricks

And that's probably it I think.

If there is a 2nd UV channel in use, which I can't see is the case on any of the materials tbh it could be used for something like blending the bottom of the building with an grunge or something.
    If there is another layer in the mix on top of that, it could be a paint stroke or grunge texture tiled over the plaster walls to add a little bit of color hue variation to further break the tiling. Or there could be detail normal map etc to add even more texel density to the material.

Look at the guys other work and you can see an even heavier shader vertex blending 4 textures here https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Oo18Ak