Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback on Portfolio

Hello,
I am currently a student in game art 3rd year Bachelor degree, currently looking into schools to strengthen my skills and aiming to become a Character design or Concept artist (not quite sure which one yet), and i wanna focus on working as a Pixel artist too.

Here is a link to my Portfolio : https://mjcpixel.wixsite.com/portfolio
It has my resume on the main page, I wanted to get some feedback on how it looks, how the works are organized...

Thanks to anyone who responds :)

Edit : Just as a PSA the website is not yet done for Mobile devices so if possible look at it on a computer

Replies

• TravisBolek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TravisBolek polycounter lvl 16
    You have some good stuff there!

If this website is going to be used for employment purposes then you should make sure that the home page shows off your artwork. Maybe have it where the different categories (e.g. Characters, Environment, etc) are selectable images on the home page. Or just have the categories right there. So you have Characters, followed by thumbnails, and when selected or hovered over, they show the full size.

You really don't want employers to click around your site. They go through a lot of portfolios and you need to grab their attention.

Also, scrap most of the work on there and only leave the best. You only need a few (like 4 or 5 or something) of your best pieces of work.

I would also scrap the Traditional and Additional Works parts. If there is any stand out pieces there that can be incorporated into your existing Character and Environment parts, then do it!

In the Characters tab, I like the chibi female character with a breakdown of emotions. However, you have two of them. There are some different sketches in there for sure, but scrap one and condense the emotion breakdown sketches to the best and that are contrasting from each other. 

In the Environments tab, the drawing of the living room is good but it could be pushed further. Demonstrating basic skills like perspective is good and you should add to it by adding lighting and additional details. Maybe make it more lived in.

You said you may want to focus on concept art, well what kind? There's a lot of sub categories there. And a good thing to demonstrate that is to do show an iterative process of how you arrived at a concept. 
  • MjcArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have some good stuff there!

If this website is going to be used for employment purposes then you should make sure that the home page shows off your artwork. Maybe have it where the different categories (e.g. Characters, Environment, etc) are selectable images on the home page. Or just have the categories right there. So you have Characters, followed by thumbnails, and when selected or hovered over, they show the full size.

You really don't want employers to click around your site. They go through a lot of portfolios and you need to grab their attention.

Also, scrap most of the work on there and only leave the best. You only need a few (like 4 or 5 or something) of your best pieces of work.

I would also scrap the Traditional and Additional Works parts. If there is any stand out pieces there that can be incorporated into your existing Character and Environment parts, then do it!

In the Characters tab, I like the chibi female character with a breakdown of emotions. However, you have two of them. There are some different sketches in there for sure, but scrap one and condense the emotion breakdown sketches to the best and that are contrasting from each other. 

In the Environments tab, the drawing of the living room is good but it could be pushed further. Demonstrating basic skills like perspective is good and you should add to it by adding lighting and additional details. Maybe make it more lived in.

You said you may want to focus on concept art, well what kind? There's a lot of sub categories there. And a good thing to demonstrate that is to do show an iterative process of how you arrived at a concept. 
    Thank you for the response !
    At the moment i'm looking into schools that ask a lot of work to be shown so that's mainly why i pu so much in there, i plan on condensing and reducing the number of works in the future

Thanks for all the advices tho, i will keep them in mind when redoing the website for professional uses
    I will also look into redoing/pushing more the living room one, it was done in a rush for an exercise at school so not very polished

What kind of concept ? I mainly enjoy characters and backgrounds, but i'm still not 100% sure which one to focus on (i know you can't do both ofc), i plan on finding that out during the next 2 years when doing my master degree in art (and also developping and pushing my skills as an artist overall, finding my style)
    For the process part i'm currently starting to record speedpaints ! (currenlty drawing a matte painting and filming my process)

Overall thanks for the feedback a lot
    Have a nice day :)