Home Technical Talk

Character Polycount 2021

MissOptimist
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
MissOptimist polycounter lvl 9
As of today, which game character currently has the highest polycount? including hair cards? 
I have searched google and I saw there are characters that can go above 100k. Is there any main characters that can go over 300k ? 

Replies

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    The big creepy lady from Resident Evil Village is somewhere around 350k, the 'Duke' from the same game almost at 300k. Other complex characters that are regularly somewhere around the 200k mark can be found e.g. in Death Stranding, Marvel Avengers. So that's PS4 titles. Just imagine what is currently being cooked up for new hardware.

I don't think these meshes are used much in the games though - if you e.g. do hair and fur in cards and zoom out just a little during gameplay it'll all be gone - triangles smaller than screen pixels. Most likely only loaded for closeups, cinematics and the like.

• MissOptimist
    Offline / Send Message
    MissOptimist polycounter lvl 9
    thomasp said:
    The big creepy lady from Resident Evil Village is somewhere around 350k, the 'Duke' from the same game almost at 300k. Other complex characters that are regularly somewhere around the 200k mark can be found e.g. in Death Stranding, Marvel Avengers. So that's PS4 titles. Just imagine what is currently being cooked up for new hardware.

I don't think these meshes are used much in the games though - if you e.g. do hair and fur in cards and zoom out just a little during gameplay it'll all be gone - triangles smaller than screen pixels. Most likely only loaded for closeups, cinematics and the like.

Wooah 350k?? You said that might have been just used for cinematics? It will be great if you can share the link to this info
  • oglu
    Online / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Even if you have a budget of 350k. The same old rules apply.
    Only as much as need, as less as possible.

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Wooah 350k?? You said that might have been just used for cinematics? It will be great if you can share the link to this info
    I got the numbers straight from looking at their (extracted) models in a 3D app. The LOD swap is just my assumption based on how close you tend to get during gameplay to these models - as in not very on a console that can only render native 1080p.

For native 4K this generation the situation might look different.

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    i'd assume they're building the top lod to be suitable for closeups.  eg. 2-300% screensize 

I wouldn't be surprised to see car models in racing games approaching a million triangles by now.  that's cheating though cos they don't get skinned

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Well I don't have any numbers for those but I did notice there's some pretty aggressive LODding going on in GT Sport. The cinematic models they have are bonkers - probably best ones around and you'll have a hard time spotting jagged edges at all, including in the cockpit - but in the race they drop really fast, e.g. third person camera slightly zoomed out already gives you some polygonal looking edges here and there in highly visible places on your own car.

Of course you wouldn't play using that view, that's for filhty casuals using gamepads. Ewwww.