Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[FINISHED] Playstation 1 - Real time asset - Game ready

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ElyesBens polycounter lvl 5
So i have been working on this little guy as a side project. I almost finished the high poly
I still have to model the lens and we're done 

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    You mentioned you're nearly done your HP but this still looks super razor sharp. I'm assuming you're using a dynamesh + polish workflow for your highpoly?
  • ElyesBens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d said:
    You mentioned you're nearly done your HP but this still looks super razor sharp. I'm assuming you're using a dynamesh + polish workflow for your highpoly?
    Yes I'm gonna polish the crisp edges after i finish modeling 
  • ElyesBens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    High poly done ! 

• ElyesBens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE : 

Low poly modeling and Normals baking done ! 

• ElyesBens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had the time to refine the high poly, low poly and the UVs for a better baking since i wasn't satisfied with the previous results as it was way too smooth and it didn't highlight the bevels the way i wanted, so here's the update : 

• ElyesBens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can anyone help me with this problem i'm having with substance painter ? 
    My mesh is fine in other softwares (marmoset and maya) but when i import it to Painter it gets messed up like this , as if like the whole object is smooth or UVs are not unwrapped or the normals do not match the mesh. I couldn't find the solution. 

The UVs look weird too when i rotate the skybox : 

Here's how it looks in Marmoset and in Maya

• Phoenix995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 polycounter
    yea looks like you are not exporting the hard soft edges to substance. can you make sure to export them?
  • ElyesBens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea looks like you are not exporting the hard soft edges to substance. can you make sure to export them?
    Yes I am exporting them, at least i think i do, since i make sur I check "smoothing groups" option in the fbx export window and also the rest of the model looks fine with hard and soft edges exactly as they are in maya. 
    I tried cleaning the model a bit and unlocking normals then i selected all edges and turned them into soft edges then i ran a script that uses UV borders as reference and makes them hard edges on the model and the resutl still the same in painter, then I imported the file in 3ds Max (looked fine) then exported it again as a new file , still nothing. At this point i'm stuck 

Also i just reallized you're Florian Neumann - big fan of your work :D 
  • Phoenix995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 polycounter
    ahh okok, did you already try a obj? 
    that should lock your normals... if its still happening than the import in substance is wrong...
    oh yea also make sure substance is not doing anything to your normals when you import the mesh... thats all i can think of

oh hey :D thanks a lot man!
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Maybe there are overlapping vertices not welded.
  • ElyesBens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 said:
    Maybe there are overlapping vertices not welded.
    i used the cleanup feature in maya and it doesn't show any problems , i might dive deep in cleaning and checking manually later otherwise i'd have to remodel it from scratch

ahh okok, did you already try a obj? 
    that should lock your normals... if its still happening than the import in substance is wrong...
    oh yea also make sure substance is not doing anything to your normals when you import the mesh... thats all i can think of

oh hey :D thanks a lot man!
    i will try obj next for sure, but i'm given to understand that .obj is not the best of solutions to import in painter 
  • ElyesBens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So .... i had to remodel the disc door from scratch, had to redo the UVs too and the whole UV layout and the baking and, and ,and ... (pain and tears) , then i threw it in Painter to add text markings and height information and baked all of that in the normal map (to make things easier when generating smart masks) I still have some slights refinements to do before texturing but i thought i would share the results here : 

• ElyesBens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is finally starting to take shape. I've had a bit of a struggle to make a conviencing texture since the asset is mostly monochromatic, and now i think i'm onto something here.

I'm nowhere near the finish line yet. This is a WIP 

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Nice! not sure if its the lighting, but i'm leaning more towards your albedo is a bit too dark? Feel like ps1's are much more lighter/whiter.

Could also use a very subtle touch of magenta/purple, especially to break out of the monochromatic-ness.

• ElyesBens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A purple-ish tone seem like a good idea, i've been trying some red/yellow-ish tones i picked from references to breakup the gray and it always seemed off somehow. Thanks for the suggestion ! 
  • ElyesBens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @Kanni3d
    It worked !! i added a purple tone and mixed it with some brown and yellow and IT WORKED ! :D 
    thanks for the advice !! 

These are the shots i intend to post in my portfolio - but before i do is there any improvements to make ? Are there any shots that are not portfolio material ? are there problems with the texturing that need fixing ? Lighting ? ...

These are some of the references i used : 

• ElyesBens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So done and done with this one ! 
    For the full project and turntables here's the link : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/28PBDA

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The dirt and weathering could use a bit of hand tuning/painting of the masks and layers, there's some pretty noticeable haloing around edges that's not natural or realistic.