Home Technical Talk

Creating a stone fireplace

taholmes160
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
taholmes160 polycounter lvl 2

I am working on a project that has several fireplaces. In the past, I have just built a mesh object, and put a rock texture on it. The problem with this is that rocks on the corners and in other places dont match up correctly and I can never get things to look right.

What I would like to do is to actually build it rock by rock. The mortar is easy to do, but Im not sure how to create the rocks – I have messed with the rock generator in blender a bit, but I cant seem to get the correct shapes to the rocks – so im looking for the right way to make the rocks.

Below are a couple example fireplaces

Replies

• another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
     The problem with this is that rocks on the corners and in other places dont match up correctly and I can never get things to look right.

You need it to be a single patch, one natural UV unwrap
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    What are you using? I googled: zbrush stone wall, and got a lot of results.
  • Mink
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink polycounter lvl 5
    It may take a long time to get looking right, but if you have substance designer, create a graph that can generate your rocks with an inputted grayscale map to define rock regions and outputs distinct rocks in closed off area. Then I recommend creating a continuous UV for the rock surface, and then filling in white lines where you want the boundaries to be. It's tedious, but can definitely be accomplished with a fairly old version of substance designer. For added effect, you may want to do some basic modeled protrusions once you have the final material applied. Or before.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Late reply here, but I'd suggest looking into procedural approaches, perhaps Voronoi
    https://styly.cc/tips/blender/nimi-blender-voronoi/
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Why not model some stones and build it this way? 
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Late reply here, but I'd suggest looking into procedural approaches, perhaps Voronoi
    https://styly.cc/tips/blender/nimi-blender-voronoi/

The traditional voronoi tends towards giving you unnatural looking pinch points between cells - you can usually find a seed that looks ok but it's not something you can rely on as a general solution. This is the case with anything based around perlin or uniform distributions, which is a bit of a bugger since that's what almost everything in the universe is based around
    A poisson based distribution is IMO a better starting point for something like this as it keeps a much more regular distance between points. 

There's a very nice free poisson distribution package available for substance designer (I forget the name of the author and I'm sorry)  that i recommend grabbing.