Home Career & Education

Can I become a AAA 3D Environment Artist with Maya?

KingLudo
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
KingLudo polycounter lvl 2
I have looked into some of the job openings for multiple studios and most of them offer 3DS Max. While I can use both Maya and Max I really prefer using Maya. Is it possible to get into Maya or most of the game industry is into Max for modelling? I am pretty much confused and torn between these two programs and I dont know which one I should focus on. I want to focus on one program to build a better porfolio and get into the industry but I really can't figure it out. This question probably got asked a million times but yeah... lol. 
Thanks in advance. 

Replies

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    just use what you like. if you get a job offer and they require max, then learn max. 

your software skills arent what will make you a valuable employee people can't live without. Focus on those skills that make it hard for people to finish a job without you.

• Zi0
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    is most of the games industry still max? i mean we have our bubble of clients, but pretty much every huge production we have worked on was all maya, since ... i dunno 5-10 years already
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It's probably 80%+ Maya and has been for a long time.

• RaptorCWS
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    Yes. Most places probably have a couple of seats of both no matter which is their primary dcc suite due to needs of working with outsourcing and Autodesk charges the same amount for both. If a studio really wants you using a certain package they will give you time to get used to it anyways. Your ability to make good looking game art is what  is going to get you the job, not max vs maya. I got my job with a portfolio I made using maya, they had me learn max (even though we had people using maya), and now I'm using blender. As long as you can get the work done is all they care about.
  • scottycharly
    Offline / Send Message
    scottycharly polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with RaptorCWS. Some Game Studio use Max, some others use Maya, some use Max for props/environment and Maya for animation. Sometimes it depends on the project. Some let you use what you want. Some even use Blender. Use what you prefer and learn the new software when you need it. I've used the 3 of them and they all are mostly the same. Good art is what counts.