Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] Wizard dude

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
travesty polycounter lvl 14
figured I should probably just make a wip thread. this is a character I started making for a workshop being taught by Ackeem Durrant. Still tweaking a lot. also need to add in the belts and what not, then the hair.

Replies

• travesty
    Offline / Send Message
    imported into marmoset toolbag 4, adjusting textures and adding in the last of the assest before jumping into the hair

• travesty
    Offline / Send Message
    been pluging away at the hair for this guy
  • travesty
    Offline / Send Message
    Hair still need a lot of love but I think its starting to come together

• travesty
    Offline / Send Message
    slowly its getting there

• travesty
    Offline / Send Message
    more hair, still needs the fly aways

unreal renders

then marm still trying to dial in the shader not quite there

• travesty
    Offline / Send Message
    more work on the hair renders from unreal
  • travesty
    Offline / Send Message
    More work on the hair in ue5
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Hair is really difficult for me,  Yours looks great.
    One day i should play with it more, can't get all those cool plugin$ though so might be really rough for me but i can live through it for now through your work.  

Character looks great.

Did you try a detail map (idk if that is used for characters) but a pattern to place over the leather?  Its what i'd try, idk i feel some clothing details should be noticeable.  Looks like the fabric pattern for jeans and such and doesn't sit well with me being the viewer not expecting to see that pattern on leather.

Probably a different vein type pattern for the leather with some good, cracks in it so try this.

Add the vein ^ to the normal map you made for that leather work, then go back into substance and "rebake" some of the maps and try to get like the curves/cavities and such to shine through the leather work, that might add a lot, hopefully you get what i mean.  You basically have to make a "custom" situation for that leather work.

Best of luck, thanks for the like.
  • travesty
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz said:
    Hair is really difficult for me,  Yours looks great.
    One day i should play with it more, can't get all those cool plugin$ though so might be really rough for me but i can live through it for now through your work.  

Character looks great.

Did you try a detail map (idk if that is used for characters) but a pattern to place over the leather?  Its what i'd try, idk i feel some clothing details should be noticeable.  Looks like the fabric pattern for jeans and such and doesn't sit well with me being the viewer not expecting to see that pattern on leather.

Probably a different vein type pattern for the leather with some good, cracks in it so try this.

Add the vein ^ to the normal map you made for that leather work, then go back into substance and "rebake" some of the maps and try to get like the curves/cavities and such to shine through the leather work, that might add a lot, hopefully you get what i mean.  You basically have to make a "custom" situation for that leather work.

Best of luck, thanks for the like.
    Thanks man! Ya hair was a rough one for me. It just takes time till it looks halfway decent. No plugins though. Just maya and deformers to put them into place. 
  • travesty
    Offline / Send Message
    needs more love in the texture department not in love with how glossy the pants are but the wizard dude is posed so the end is in site.

Also the ground plane isn't great I made it quickly in designer to 1) Learn the program 2) give the guy something to stand on. Still not 100% on whether ill keep it though 
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Hi travesty.
    Nice work. The first shots look a bit strange in that the head looks un naturally gaunt. The neck volume looks pretty low, sort of alien like. You have modelled a worried or concerned expression which by default should be neutral. How did you do the clothing? If you use something like Marvelous designer you can get some volume in the form and play with more descriptive creases and wrinkles. The hair looks pretty good and the pose is kinda neat in the last shot.
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    hey @travesty
    This looks great!
    Just some minor things, but you know about them already i think :)
    I would work a bit more on the texturing, just very slight brightness differences for example, so if you zoom out the whole body does not appear as one black blob. For the floor i would go for a different material as well, just to seperate it more from the character. maybe brownish with some green in there? maybe that example could help you: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/d82QQK
    the last thing i would change a bit is his posing. he looks a bit stiff... maybe you can give him some bend in his knees, or shift the weight more onto one foot if you know what i mean :)
    for the rest i have to say, great work!
  • travesty
    Offline / Send Message
    Still tweaking the textures but I think it’s look better. Still need to adjust the pose. Thanks @Phoenix995 and @kanga for the advice 

• travesty
    Offline / Send Message
    So I’ve tried pushing the colour of the texture a tad to help differentiate between the different layers of clothing 
  • travesty
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there, finally got around to finishing this character I've been working on for a while

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/bK2zyn
  • Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolovorix ngon master
    Turned out great! The color adjustments you made to the clothing really helped things pop.
  • travesty
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @Bolovorix I appreciate you saying that!