Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] [UE4] Money Heist bathroom scene

Hi, I tried to recreate the bathroom film set from a Netflix show called "Money Heist" (the film set could be seen in seasons 1 & 2), my goal was to start and finish my first ever scene with AAA quality for portfolio use.

Currently it's a work in progress so it everything you see may change in the future.

Rendered using Unreal engine 4, Modelling done in blender, texturing done in substance painter / designer

Any feedback is appreciated!

Replies

• labeeb
    Offline / Send Message
    labeeb triangle
    I would say that it looks really clean, you can use some decals to give it a more realistic look, other than that the yellow lights can bring some warm tone to the scene so increase their brightness a bit. Overall its a good job.
  • Elivenger
    Offline / Send Message
    Elivenger polycounter lvl 2
    I feel like a little more indirect light bounce would help. I feel like the corners away from the windows are a tad bit too dark at the moment. Other than that it's shaping up!
  • Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Looks good 👍 
    Do you use baked lighting for this scene?
    I agree the indirect lighting could be more. In the photos I looked up,  the lavatories close to the windows even seem to get lit from below by indirect lighting. Oh correction, the light seems to hit the wall directly.
    I could imagine the grating of the windows getting  overblown some by the outside lighting - maybe some volumetric light effect in this area?
    With the lavatories, the stand to basin transitions look a bit harsh, maybe some ao in this area.
    The roughness variation on the ground looks very high contrast and the pattern is very grungy/noisy. You could reduce the value range so the effects is more subtle and add in some (directional?) patterns which make sense for this scene, like someone wiped some water off the floor.
  • Costa_Lazar
  • Costa_Lazar
    Hi, here’s some progress I did in the past week, added and tweaked some models, textures and the lighting.
    This will probably be the last post before I finally finish and upload it to Artstation for my portfolio so would really appreciate feedback! =)

(note the square ceiling light is a place holder for now)

Fabi_G said:
    Do you use baked lighting for this scene?
    In the first post all lights are stationary so some are baked and some don’t draw shadows. In this post most of the lights changed to be entirely dynamic apart from the rectangular lights for the windows and the wall lamp near the entrance in the second screenshot, that are still stationary and baked.

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    In this post most of the lights changed to be entirely dynamic apart from the rectangular lights for the windows and the wall lamp near the entrance in the second screenshot, that are still stationary and baked.

Forgive my ignorance since I don't mess with environments/lighting often, but why do a mix? If you have a majority of them dynamic, why have some baked lights?
  • Costa_Lazar
  • Costa_Lazar
  • Costa_Lazar
    Kanni3d said:
    In this post most of the lights changed to be entirely dynamic apart from the rectangular lights for the windows and the wall lamp near the entrance in the second screenshot, that are still stationary and baked.

Forgive my ignorance since I don't mess with environments/lighting often, but why do a mix? If you have a majority of them dynamic, why have some baked lights?

I found the best lighting results with stationary lights, they produce really high quality shadows and indirect lighting (with the right lightmap resolution) especially with area shadows enabled, But they do have their own limitations so I can’t put more than 4 lights that overlap on each other. (also they have better performance than dynamic lights)

So my other best option for lights that have less importance for me was to use fully dynamic movable lights.

I tried to use fully static lights but they give really underwhelming low quality results.

If you want more technical details check out those articles:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.26/en-US/BuildingWorlds/LightingAndShadows/LightMobility/StaticLights/

https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.26/en-US/BuildingWorlds/LightingAndShadows/LightMobility/StationaryLights/

https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.26/en-US/BuildingWorlds/LightingAndShadows/LightMobility/DynamicLights/

Btw what's up with that comment approval thing? I couldn’t post since yesterday and some times it deletes posts when editing them

• Cg_Creator
    Offline / Send Message
    Cg_Creator polycounter lvl 11
    Looking great!! I love the details you added on the mirror, the only thing I could comment on is the floor... I m not a big fan of the reflection and dust on it... I m not sure what to say to improve it, but that s the only thing I think you could improve. Maybe toning down the mix between the reflection and dust....