Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dwarf Randall Done

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Glynnybob polycounter lvl 7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a Dwarf character I finished a while ago, after some advice and feedback I've decided to jump back in and see if I can get some emotion out of him and pose him, any more feedback is welcome.

Concept for the character created by Anthony Jones - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3GJo

Replies

• Glynnybob
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more shots 

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Well done for getting him finished :) 
    Looking forward to seeing what you do with him!
  • Glynnybob
    Offline / Send Message
    Big Sword Thing

I've been very, very slowly chipping away at this weapon for Randall the Dwarf, I felt stuck with it for a while so during my putting it off phase I've been doing a 30 day 30 heads challenge, this challenge helped me simply with observing the references I used and improving my work in creating likeness from reference. Using this I've given myself some critique and a firmer idea of where to go from here.

If anybody have any feedback or tips please do feel free to comment and critique, it'll all help in the end.

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter

Quick overdraw.
    Proportions are a bit off. While it might be that it is due to the perspective in the concept, there's some more proportional things to have a look at within the sword itself.
    Don't forget the ornament at the back of the handle, as well as to angle the stabby stab thing at the end. 
    It seems like the decoration on the top has some locking mechanisms driving the design of them, so make sure you get the connections where they are on the concept. 
    I don't know if the bent handle is a fluke from the concept or part of the design. 

Drawing over the concept to get the shapes is another helpful tool to see what it is that you are looking at :)
    Keep it up!
  • Glynnybob
    Offline / Send Message
    Sloooooowww updates

Still slowly pottering away with this, I've been working on details and taking on @Elithenia feedback, still missing a loooooot of the details like the rings and belts?? wrapped around the blade, need to add something that attaches the details to the blade. I've made a quick pommel detail for the scythe, kinda like it, kinda hate it, so it's going well.

I chucked the model into ZBrush just because I can't use any of Maya's render tools  to save my life.

• Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    i would move the whole thing into maya and keep it as a kind of blockout, but recreate the whole asset with modeling. so you get rid of all the wonkiness in there. that would help the shading and the overall look a lot i would say :) 
  • Glynnybob
    Offline / Send Message
    More Sword Axe Thing

Progress is coming along nicely, unfortunately as soon as I stuck this picture here I've seen all the issues I've missed, once again it's too long aaaaannnnd one of the belt things is waaaayyyy too far up the blade , how did I miss that? Ah well I'll fix it.

@Phoenix995 I had been modelling this in maya but for some reason I thought throwing it in ZBrush and subdividing it a few times would make it prettier because I'm not a clever man. After getting these screenshots out of Maya I'll stick with that in future while blocking out.

• Glynnybob
    Offline / Send Message
    BIG HEFTY SWORD THING!

Been gone a while but I finally had the determination to work on Dwarfy, so far the weapon is almost sculpted, woo.

Any feedback or ideas will be greatly appreciated as always.

• Glynnybob
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to upload the finished version