Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Reptilian Creature Texturing

A game model of an alien-reptilian creature with elements of different animals such as canine, bearded dragon, porcupine and frigate bird.

I feel as though the textures are missing something but I haven't quite worked out what that is yet. Using Substance Painter.

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! In this situation I would recommend you to take a step back, screenshot the creature in side view and plan the textures with some overpaints/photo bashing. Draw in folds, skin/scale types try out different color and gradients variations. Use your references while doing this.

Generally I think gradients in direction of growth could work well to make those hairs/spikes more readable, right now reads a bit noisy.

I would also rethink the approach for the hair/spikes/finns elements. Probably you can achieve a more convincing result using alpha planes (in combination with some base geo in the case of the finns?). As is the red finns look a bit blobby.

Good luck :+1:
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    I agree with @Fabi_G
    A few areas in the skin tones and textures are very noisy and hard to read, would be interesing what kind of purpose that creature has in the "game"  for example is it a carni- or herbivore. And also is it for an fps, third person or top down game designed.

• QILIN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for the critique, great to see it from other's perspective. I'll have a rethink and plan it out better.