Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio review

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Jacobodding_design polycounter lvl 2
Hi guys,
I'd love feedback regarding my portfolio. I always shy away from applying to jobs because i feel like my portfolio is not ready. I also have some critiques of my own but i'd be intrested to hear what you guys think.

Link to portfolio

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Online / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Sick portfolio. I think if it lands in the right hands, you'll have a high chance at getting a job. The only thing which stood out to me is the heart in your last project looks like an inflatable rubber heart.
  • Jacobodding_design
    Offline / Send Message
    Sick portfolio. I think if it lands in the right hands, you'll have a high chance at getting a job. The only thing which stood out to me is the heart in your last project looks like an inflatable rubber heart.

Thank you man. That really means a lot. 
    The heart is a old piece i did that's pbr. I kept it because i like the initial idea but the execution is awful. 
    Really shows how much you change and improve with time  =)

Would you recommend me to remove it to keep a more coherent standard on the portfolio?
  • Ashervisalis
    Online / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Nah, you can keep it in there. Maybe wait to remove stuff until you got a couple more pieces.
  • jStins
    Online / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    I agree with Ashervisalis that the quality is there. Very good execution of a cohesive hand painted style. The only thing I might suggest is adding a more complete environment to your portfolio. Doesn't have to be huge, but something a bit bigger than a diorama to demonstrate application of your hand painted style in the context of larger structures and what not. 
  • Jacobodding_design
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins said:
    I agree with Ashervisalis that the quality is there. Very good execution of a cohesive hand painted style. The only thing I might suggest is adding a more complete environment to your portfolio. Doesn't have to be huge, but something a bit bigger than a diorama to demonstrate application of your hand painted style in the context of larger structures and what not. 
    Thank you for the critique! I plan on doing an enviroment or character as my next project that will hopefully compliment my portfolio.

• pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Your portfolio is only as strong as your weakest piece. I'd ditch the alter or do a major update to it, hand paint it or sculpt it up in Zbrush or equivalent. Your hand painted stuff is legit. If you want to tackle that alter I'd take a aproach more towards the following.....work on some larger set pieces in that style or an more polished pbr model like so.... 

Examples:

Or take on a building...

Good luck.
  • Jacobodding_design
    Offline / Send Message
    @pixelpatron

Thank you for your in-depth critique with image examples. It's much appreciated. 

I totally agree with you and actually started working on a revised version of the heart altar piece since I think the concept has a lot of potential. When I look back at that portfolio piece I almost find it funny how poorly executed it is. But that also gives me a lot of comfort since it proves improvement.