Home Career & Education

How can I stay motivated?

node
Offline / Send Message
Wrenger node
I've been modelling for around 6 months and all I can make is things like

And often I go look at other people's work and I see things like

The chair and the desk were also textured with trim sheets And so were the books and scrolls
And every time it happens I just want to quit. I don't think I will ever be able to reach that level... I don't have the creativity, I don't have the skill, I can't even draw for the life of me, so how am I going to come up with such designs?.. How will I ever get a 3d modelling job if I will never get remotely close to these people's work? I've been told to just keep modelling but I don't know how to stay motivated to do so.. I don't know how to improve my creativity..
Did you ever have to deal with this? If so, how did you get over it? How much time did it take you to get to a level, where you can confidently say "Yea, it's good."

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    you work is fine for 6 months of practice. 

The artwork you posted from other people definitely wasn't made by a six month noob. And really the only difference is just how much extra time they put into it. Yours isn't that far away. 

Just don't quit. If you feeling down its most likely cause you need sunlight and exercise. Too long looking at screen kills the soul.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Also want to point out that all chances are the artists you posted also can't draw particularly well and 9-times-out-of-10 they didn't design those complex weapons. 3D artists tend to work off concept art provided to them so many people practice with friends or concept art they find online. You're not a concept artist, so of course you can't just come up with a design like that. :) Different specialties.
    Then, as Alex J said, they likely have a lot more time and learning put in. You're doing pretty good for someone who's only been going for 6 months.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Yep all of the above. It can take years to hit an employable level and many folks just give up or keep it in the background as a hobby before that moment. There's no shortcuts, skipping the queue, fast track or anything like that.. It always has and always will come down to time, discipline and intentional focused learning.

6 months ago you knew nothing and now look at the badass art you can make! That is progress and I think you'd serve yourself a lot better in the long run if you take a moment to appreciate yourself. You have to be your own friend and cheerleader if you want to go further.
  • Wrenger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrenger node
    Thank you a lot to everyone that replied, I will keep all your advice in mind and in a few years from now there better be a cool render made by me here >:c
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I am sure if you grab a good concept and start a thread in the 3d section, with some help, you could do as well as some of these models you've posted above. 

I mean people will literally just straight up tell you what you can do to get to finished art like that. There can be some frustration in applying concepts because working with computers is like working with a monkey at times, but that is definitely the fast track to studio-quality art.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    You are doing great for being 6 months it. It took me about 6 years of learning until i got my first industry job. Skill takes time to develop, and you should focus on enjoying the process rather than the results, it will make life a lot easier. I wrote an article about artists and motivation a while back, maybe some useful info in there for you :) 
    https://www.polygon-academy.com/tips-for-artists-struggling-with-motivation/