Home Career & Education

CANT FIND A JOB : DONT BECOME AN ARTIST ?!!!

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
adriancgmask polycounter lvl 4
hey guys my name is adrian im a hard surface game artist I do props/environment  check out my website and the quality of my work https://adriancgmask.com/
my youtube channel free tutorials https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO9Y9LgEm6OH8yNEtxisM3Q   

(((I work at cgtrader wildcat and at freelancer and other places always struggle and doing first model free to catch the trust....but when applying for studios it doesn't mean shit )))) everybody knows these last years been brutal but again so many of us struggle to find any job whatsoever especially in the game industry I looking for any open position for months I don't have triple a title but I work many projects so 99.9 companies looking for someone with at least one shipped title and that fuking ridiculous cause as modeler we usually work at outsourcing or freelance anyway even with the shipped title there are thousands of people applying for the same job it's like winning a lottery 
Im gonna be honest with you guys and this is my final conclusion so far if I put all these times on pilling shit I will have a steady job with a salary and I don't starve to death lol
sorry for being so negative but if u have any suggestion any comment plz let me know

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I mean all this in a constructive way. 
    You're not getting hired because what you're presenting doesn't look good. experience doesn't come into it when you're not competing with graduates on quality. 

Your asset work is not there yet. 
    I mainly looked at the weapons since that's the subject matter I'm most familiar with and I believe you're not paying close enough attention to reference in terms of both the forms and materials. for example - that AK appears to be missing a gas system and is very strangely proportioned, I don't think the sights on the Thompson match up to either the expensive early version or the cheaper ww2 military one, I have to wonder what happens to the flashlight on the p229 when it's fired.   Hopefully you're getting the picture.

Your presentation is not helping,
    The background on your site is an immediate turnoff - if you didn't make it, it shouldn't be on there and we all know you didn't make it. 
    Your lighting is flat and dead - read up on simple 3 point light setups and concentrate on a clean and clear presentation. That's all you need for asset work and anything more just gets in the way. 

good luck with it :)

edit : also the website is really irritating, the auto changing images make it very difficult to look closely and analyse your work. 
    As a rule, anyone hiring would much prefer to look at a vanilla artstation page than any thing custom.  
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah your website is slow and annoying to get through. The website is dark but when you click anywhere it's like a flash bang went off with pure white, and blinds me. Get ArtStation; currently I want to spend the least amount of time possible on your website. Just like PooPipe said, whats up with the Naughty Dog characters on the background of your portfolio?

All your shinny materials have this 'mirror' thing going on where they're reflecting too much. The bakes on a lot of your edges look odd, makes me wonder if you've got the right edges hard/soft for your bakes. Your wood materials all loo, plus a lot of your other materials look pretty bad. You should do a cull and only keep maybe 4 or 5 of your best assets.

I think you need to keep pushing yourself. Don't give up though. Also, if you post on a forum where people might hire you for something, maybe check that you have proper grammar and punctuation. If I got a work email from a coworker which read like your post here, I would be really frustrated.
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I would take whichever one of the car or gun models is your favorite and make a mission to rebuild it to modern AAA standards. You have a lot of work done already so your familiarity with the tools will make give you a big advantage. You probably just need help from other people to start seeing the difference between your work and the competition. You could make a thread here in the 3d section and get help.

If you are patient and stay focused on this singular goal I am sure it will pay off in the long run.

• Eric Chadwick
    First off, it takes a lot of balls for a new member to post something like this. So, kudos to you. It's a good thing.

It's tough work to find jobs, I had to be persistent in the face of adversity. The constant rejection was very demoralizing, but I just had to keep going. Worked my ass off, and it eventually happened. Etc., you get the picture. Motivation is Bull

Take the advice given here by others. It's pure. Honest professional-quality feedback is extremely rare. Drink it up like a hungry vampire! 
  • adriancgmask
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    I mean all this in a constructive way. 
    You're not getting hired because what you're presenting doesn't look good. experience doesn't come into it when you're not competing with graduates on quality. 

Your asset work is not there yet. 
    I mainly looked at the weapons since that's the subject matter I'm most familiar with and I believe you're not paying close enough attention to reference in terms of both the forms and materials. for example - that AK appears to be missing a gas system and is very strangely proportioned, I don't think the sights on the Thompson match up to either the expensive early version or the cheaper ww2 military one, I have to wonder what happens to the flashlight on the p229 when it's fired.   Hopefully you're getting the picture.

Your presentation is not helping,
    The background on your site is an immediate turnoff - if you didn't make it, it shouldn't be on there and we all know you didn't make it. 
    Your lighting is flat and dead - read up on simple 3 point light setups and concentrate on a clean and clear presentation. That's all you need for asset work and anything more just gets in the way. 

good luck with it :)

edit : also the website is really irritating, the auto changing images make it very difficult to look closely and analyse your work. 
    As a rule, anyone hiring would much prefer to look at a vanilla artstation page than any thing custom.  
    I completely agreed and thanks for ur honest feedback the AK and all the apo weapons come from the apo fantasy concept art and yes it's a very weird weapon, lack of gas system :) and the sight for Thompson I model from original ww2 m1928a1 smg adjustable sight the p229 yet again ur right it doesn't make sense lol. but I try to model something new and crazy u know. there are thousands of standard AK been modeled.
    I will remove the background asap and maybe delete the whole website and focus on artstation instead
    I mean I put a lot of work into my https://adriancgmask.com/portfolio-item/sci-fi-entrance/       before and after wireframe so if no one likes it what's the point right.

• adriancgmask
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah your website is slow and annoying to get through. The website is dark but when you click anywhere it's like a flash bang went off with pure white, and blinds me. Get ArtStation; currently I want to spend the least amount of time possible on your website. Just like PooPipe said, whats up with the Naughty Dog characters on the background of your portfolio?

All your shinny materials have this 'mirror' thing going on where they're reflecting too much. The bakes on a lot of your edges look odd, makes me wonder if you've got the right edges hard/soft for your bakes. Your wood materials all loo, plus a lot of your other materials look pretty bad. You should do a cull and only keep maybe 4 or 5 of your best assets.

I think you need to keep pushing yourself. Don't give up though. Also, if you post on a forum where people might hire you for something, maybe check that you have proper grammar and punctuation. If I got a work email from a coworker which read like your post here, I would be really frustrated.
    yup, again thanks for ur honest feedback mate really appreciate it. yes, most of the problem comes from bad render and lighting.
    From now on I only render in marmoset 4 and with the proper lighting and post it here
    Im hoping to improve and u give me ur feedback in the future. 
    and plz what do you think are the worst assets and what do you think are the best or top 5 in terms of materials and....
  • adriancgmask
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J said:
    I would take whichever one of the car or gun models is your favorite and make a mission to rebuild it to modern AAA standards. You have a lot of work done already so your familiarity with the tools will make give you a big advantage. You probably just need help from other people to start seeing the difference between your work and the competition. You could make a thread here in the 3d section and get help.

If you are patient and stay focused on this singular goal I am sure it will pay off in the long run.

oh, your soo kind I defiantly will do that mate thanks a lot.
  • adriancgmask
    Offline / Send Message
    First off, it takes a lot of balls for a new member to post something like this. So, kudos to you. It's a good thing.

It's tough work to find jobs, I had to be persistent in the face of adversity. The constant rejection was very demoralizing, but I just had to keep going. Worked my ass off, and it eventually happened. Etc., you get the picture. Motivation is Bull

Take the advice given here by others. It's pure. Honest professional-quality feedback is extremely rare. Drink it up like a hungry vampire! 
    yeah, the topic is very bold on my part lol :) tried to catch as much attention as possible and get some brutal shot fire feedback lol I will Drink it up like a hungry vampire!   =) 
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    AK47 Apocalypse, Sig Sauer P229 Apocalypse, and Sig Sauer P229. I feel like if you were to redo the materials on the cars or a few of the guns, they might be nice enough for the portfolio. Good luck!!
  • adriancgmask
    Offline / Send Message
    AK47 Apocalypse, Sig Sauer P229 Apocalypse, and Sig Sauer P229. I feel like if you were to redo the materials on the cars or a few of the guns, they might be nice enough for the portfolio. Good luck!!
    thanks, bro I will  <3     
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah.  Don't just burn them or give up or anything.  There's nice ideas and some decent looking bits. 

The first step would be to deal with presentation and lighting. Then you're at least showing what you have in the best way. 

I think your apocalypse weapons have potential as a themed set. You might have to go back and rebuild parts of the guns but they are a start on a solid idea. Sort the gas system/receiver proportions out on the ak and it'll be a lot closer. 
    I'll take your word for it on the sights, I thought they'd gone with a simple sheet metal aperture on the rear but I could well be remembering wrong .. 

Keep it up :)
  • adriancgmask
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    Yeah.  Don't just burn them or give up or anything.  There's nice ideas and some decent looking bits. 

The first step would be to deal with presentation and lighting. Then you're at least showing what you have in the best way. 

I think your apocalypse weapons have potential as a themed set. You might have to go back and rebuild parts of the guns but they are a start on a solid idea. Sort the gas system/receiver proportions out on the ak and it'll be a lot closer. 
    I'll take your word for it on the sights, I thought they'd gone with a simple sheet metal aperture on the rear but I could well be remembering wrong .. 

Keep it up :)
    yes:+1:  mate with the help of marmoset 4 it will help a ton with presentation and lighting ....
    ur feebacks means alot beacuse Im working on most complex piece I have ever made  its rail/scifi weapon and a motor cycle ready to texture and render this is a huge help thanks mate <3 . really dont want to f that up  =)