Home Adobe Substance

Wheat Texture turning dark

Alex_the3DRookie
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Alex_the3DRookie polycounter lvl 3
Hi all, 
I'm working in a wheat field for an environment in Unity.
I started with Substance Designer to create the material/texture 2D Plane since I couldn't find a free package that included a proper wheat texture.
Now I'm on SpeedTree and the texture apears on some of them really dark, others display correctly.
Like this: 

I know some of it is because AO and shadows, but still doesn't explain the irregularities. In Substance Designer I changed the color map to a single color node instead of a gradient map but still hasn't solved the issue.
These are just planes 2D textures, not actual 3D wheat plants, for performance purposes of course.
Two sided is checked. 
I can't think of anything more. Please forgive my ignorance if it's too obvious, I just started with Substance Designer so I don't know if the problem is originated from Designer or if it's a conversion/export issue on SpeedTree.
Thank you for your time.

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    speedtree shaders often have color variation parameters - look at the material params in there
  • Alex_the3DRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay. I've tried that now and it seems to help but only on the bright areas. Dark areas are less darker but still dark no matter what.
    Thank you though
  • gnoop
    Online / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    it's probably just a result of illumination .   You either have to  make vertex normals up perpendicular to ground surface or  try to use  translucent shader/ backlighting .     And BTW that darker halo around wheat sprouts  is probably because  alpha pixels are black without padding
  • Alex_the3DRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop said:
    it's probably just a result of illumination .   You either have to  make vertex normals up perpendicular to ground surface or  try to use  translucent shader/ backlighting .     And BTW that darker halo around wheat sprouts  is probably because  alpha pixels are black without padding
    Thank you for your time. I played a bit with the vertex normals with the pufiness and up settings. It's still is there but a LOT less noticable.
    Yeah the dark halo is because I couldn't get transparency in Substance Designer.
    As I said i'm fairly new to the software, tried RGB-A split, RGB-A Merge, searched for tutorials or info and was extremely confussing.
    At the end I decided to use an Opacity map; I just output the greyscale to the Opacity and did the trick.
    Of course background is Black, so maybe that's the whole issue? Not getting proper background transparency?
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    make the background not black

you can use premultiplied-alpha to remove some of the artefacts associated with having a black background but it's a crutch and only works if the shader supports it.