Home General Discussion

logitech G402 mouse issue

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
so my last 3 mice have been logitech , which have been great( though they don't last that long)
but this one seems a bit off to me in that it seeems to be not pointing exactly to where I am aiming ie i have to make several
small adjusments to get it to the place I want . This is making my wrist hurt

I will explain in further , its like if I move to this  cursor to type, it will land just to the left of where I am aiming or just to the right, then I have to make a few micro adjustments - really crap when it comes to modelling now

Any suggestions? I am on Windows 10 of course :)

Do the default windows mouse setting override any custom software?

It's almost like snap to dialogue box is not working

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Do you have any other pointing devices, like a tablet or a touchscreen? Update drivers lately? If not, something to try, if yes, something to try rolling back.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I think it was the daft drivers from the logitech website, has some kind of software experience hub, which totally sucks. did a search for g402 drivers and they seem to work fine.
    Why do they make it so difficult these days
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    so I still wasn't too happy with the logitech drivers. uninstalled everyhitng, then used the default windows drivers.

seems passable now
    EDIT
    working great now. reinstalled the drivers 3 times and it works properly.
    previously at 1600 DPI it would just spin around, but now at that speed it runs normally
    Like how you can shft the DPI also

Not really sure what the problem was, some weird windows 10 shazbatt no doubt
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    UGGH, gave up and taken it back to the shop, just too inconsistent. works ok in games, but then you get to the UI and the DPI is totally different. jeez , such a lousy implementation.
    not really sure what to buy next. used to have a logitech G400s whixh was awesome, but they are charging a fortune for them now.

better off tying a brick to my wrist  and shouting at the screen :)
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    I love my Logitech G600 :) Bought two of those 5 years ago, running on my second one after the cable with the first one started malfunctioning. It's got many buttons to configure for anything you need (dont even use them all for some apps). Doesn't have any of that sci-fi spaceship design look if you're looking one of those though.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I am stuck on what to buy now. Logitech was always 'my going to town' mouse
    My previous 2 logitech mice were great, but cables went after 4 or 5 years

Currently I am using my old Microsoft Intellimouse Optical Mouse . I am not even sure how old it is. works okish

• pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Heya - have you given the good old MX518 a try (the original with the odd ghostly pattern, not the legendary re-release) ? They're worth grabbing if you find them. I am very picky when it comes to bad mouse behavior (I cannot stand intrusive acceleration/deceleration) and this one has always been great. Owning two at the moment (one old one that I need to scrub the coating off, and a newer one snatched just a few years ago, new old stock).

The  G400S is often recommended as a good equivalent (same form factor), but I am not 100% convinced that it is as good as the original 518, as the one I have as a backup seems to miss some clicks when working fast and I can only assume that the MX518 re-issue is likely exhibiting the same behavior. That's just conjecture though.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Actually Pior, the look of the MX518 is more what I am  after, reasonably expensive, but might have a go ( even the new one)

I just realised that my amazon order for my Logitech G400s was from 2014 and it cost £37.99. It's on ebay now for £75.

One company even charging £220 :)

I am currently using a really cheap mouse a ' tecknet pro s2', which is waay too small, but not bad for 10 quid.
    middle mouse button is a bit tough

One thing for sure if i get a good one that suits me just fine, then I will buy three of them :)

I don't know why but I want a wired mouse, not wireless, just don't like them.

The cable feels like part of the mouse somehow, like 'ballast'

MX Master 2 or 3? i know its wireless, but looks quite good

• pior
    Online / Send Message
    As a matter of fact I do prefer wired too, probably because when using a wired mouse on a clean desk the very subtle tug from the wire (when lifting up the mouse and moving it around) somehow acts as an anchor indicating the vertical direction. I actually got into the habit of taping the wire to my desk so that it stays at the at the perfect length and orientation, with one loop of the wire allowing for the length to automatically adjust itself, so to speak. I am probably overthinking this though :D
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ha ha , more ocd than me for sure, but i get your reasoning yeah I managed to order an original  MX518, should be hear early june
    will have to suffer until then :0
    damn, should have ordered 2 of them ;)
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well I got the MX518, and had similar issues to the other logitech mice. Bizarrely I have carried on using my tiny tecknet mouse and it's great

only cost £9.99. I might buy ten of them :)
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Hehe well, if my backup (legacy) one still works after cleaning it up I'll ship it over for you to try ! :D
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    mine are the legacy ones, 2 of them :) It's cool, though this tecknet really does the job for me. so pleased that it costs so little

NB it's possbile that the 2 legacy ones I bought from Hong Kong could be fake, but look pretty genuine
    I really think this may be a windows 10 issue though ie not having enough control over the mouse, just doesn't feel right, but the tecknet mouse is fine, so will stick with it until i am aged 80 :)
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
  • EarthQuake
    MX518 4 lyfe - if there over comes a time when I can't get another MX518 I think I'll just stop using the computer
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I was thinking the same after a week not having mouse I coudl trust, even thought of using my wacom to model, which is proabably not wise

I might put those MX518 mice back on 'evilbay' at some point soon.

• pior
    Online / Send Message
    Well, it looks like you have two potential buyers right here :D 

That said I'll definitely run a few tests on my end. My two Fiveeighteens behave as expected on my win7 machine (without having to install any Logitech drivers, as I just don't see the point of bothering with that), but I haven't tested them on my win10 box with the latest OS updates. Will let you know.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ok, cool,look forward to it
  • EarthQuake
    My MX518 works perfectly on my Win 10 machine as well. I haven't installed any drivers for it, so I would nuke anything Logitech from your system. If you're having issues with physically different mice I imagine it's a software/driver issue. My wife has the same mouse on her Win 10 PC and I think uses it at work too, or maybe the rereleased version of it (I forget the model now).
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
     both my previous logitechs worked fine on windows 10,( Logitech G400s forgotten the other one) not really sure what the issue is really, but will get back to testing it soon.
    The Logitech G400s i bought in 2014, so it could be some kind of driver issue

I stupidly threw it out though, when it was probably an easy fix by replacing the cable (doh)

• Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    so i found out that text scaling in windows 10 affects the sensitiivty of the mouse. My monitor is pretty high res 3840x2160 so the text/UI icons etc appear really tiny at normal size.

Settting scale and layout at 150 percent( default) in windows settings really screws up the way the mouse moves.
    It's definitely more precise at 100 percent, but obviously having the eyesight of a bat, it's not very practical for me to have the icons etc so small.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    thats the one I bought( 2 actually)
    now I have it set up it runs great :)

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Thanks for sharing your reviews, might try that one!

Bought a logitech keyboard (wireless K800) - mouse (M105) bundle, about 10yrs ago when on a budget assembling my home desktop. So, it's at least high time to think about getting replacement peripherals, mouse is failing, hence have a LG wireless on standby as an occasional backup.

Anyways, until accrued savings are sufficient too enable either a total system upgrade or go fully portable.