Home General Discussion

I need a new PC for game dev (3d art with UE4/UE5), suggestions?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Oblivion2500 polycounter lvl 6
I have a 5-year-old desktop pc. I just got a full-time job and looking to save up money for a new desktop pc by next year with the intention of using it for game dev (indie games using UE4 or UE5) and 3D environment art with UE4/UE5. I also use software like Quixel Megascans, Mixer, Substance Designer/Painter, Adobe Creative Cloud, and Marmoset Toolbag. I also intend the pc for playing pc games as well. So. a creator's gaming workstation pc. 

Since there are shortages and scalpers with Video Cards and computer parts right now. It's almost impossible to buy a graphics card or CPU at a reasonable price or at all. I'm still looking for a job in the gaming industry as a 3D Environment Artist and want to keep working on improving my portfolio with new projects. My PC is getting so old and slow that it sometimes crashes and hinders my ability to work. 

Here are my PC system specs:
  • NZXT Manta ITX Case
  • MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC Mini-ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4 Memory
  • Intel Core i7 7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core CPU
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Gaming X Graphics Card
  • Corsair AX 860w 80+ Platinum Fully Modular PSU
  • Samsung 850 EVO Series 500GB 2.5" SSD (for Windows OS & Applications)
  • Samsung 840 EVO Series 250GB 2.5" SSD (for Games)
  • WD Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" HDD (for Data)
  • WD MyBook 8TB Desktop External HDD w/ USB 3.1 Gen 1 (for Data Backup - 2x a day)
  • Asus VS239H-P 23" 1080p Monitors (x2 - dual setup)
Ideally, I would just get a brand new desktop but as bad as things are looking right now. Should I get a new laptop to just replace the whole thing? I have been looking at this laptop (https://bit.ly/3wBiGdi ). Which is very expensive and would rather just have a desktop PC with that kind of money but if my current pc is stopping me from my creative outlet.... 
What do you think? Should I just upgrade my storage on my current desktop pc? I have a free M.2 Gen3 slot and could upgrade the SATA SSDs to larger drives and upgrade the HDD to a bigger one like 6-8TB for just video and non-work data (I also do photography and video editing which can be stored in HDD as long it's not too slow). My current HDD space is low and has been acting up. It's about 8 years old. 

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    but if my current pc is stopping me from my creative outlet.... 

They didn't make games five years ago?

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    If it's crashing try reformatting or doing some hardware diagnostic tests (such as memtest). If you're running out of space just get a new SSD/HDD.

This is not a good time to be buying a new PC between the price spikes and the fact that hardware manufacturers are getting ready to switch over to new standards for RAM (DDR5) and PCIe (v5). Unless your entire PC dies, I'd wait until the end of this year or early next before making any big purchases.
  • Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J said:

Well, you know what I mean. There are now next-gen graphics and you have to keep up with the latest tech and graphic quality, otherwise, it will be harder to find a job in the gaming industry if your portfolio looks like game art from 6 years ago. 
  • Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz said:
    If it's crashing try reformatting or doing some hardware diagnostic tests (such as memtest). If you're running out of space just get a new SSD/HDD.

This is not a good time to be buying a new PC between the price spikes and the fact that hardware manufacturers are getting ready to switch over to new standards for RAM (DDR5) and PCIe (v5). Unless your entire PC dies, I'd wait until the end of this year or early next before making any big purchases.
    I did all the diagnostic tests on memory, storage drives, and CPU. It's all perfectly healthy. I think one of the things that are causing the crashing is that my hard drive space is almost full and it has gotten a lot slower because of that. Also, my CPU is always at 100% often times when working with UE4 or Quixel Mixer. Also, when the hard drive is loading files, the CPU becomes the bottleneck because the CPU is used to load files and if the hard drive is slow, the computer will get slower. 

You're probably right, I should just upgrade the storage drives. That should help a lot with loading. I'm also aware of DDR5 and PCIe Express V5 as well. Hopefully, by the time there are RTX 4000 series, it will be gen 4.0 PCIe instead of PCIe 3.0, and easy to buy one for a reasonable price point. Maybe I can pick up an RTX 2070 if I'm lucky...
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    I did all the diagnostic tests on memory, storage drives, and CPU. It's all perfectly healthy. I think one of the things that are causing the crashing is that my hard drive space is almost full and it has gotten a lot slower because of that. Also, my CPU is always at 100% often times when working with UE4 or Quixel Mixer.

This is probably relevant. I think the rule of thumb is to always keep 25% free space with SSDs. Your current hardware specs look totally adequate btw.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/165542/why-solid-state-drives-slow-down-as-you-fill-them-up/
  • CrackRockSteady
    Alex_J said:

Well, you know what I mean. There are now next-gen graphics and you have to keep up with the latest tech and graphic quality, otherwise, it will be harder to find a job in the gaming industry if your portfolio looks like game art from 6 years ago. 
    I assure you that you don't need new top of the line hardware to "keep up with the latest tech and graphic quality", as others have pointed out, 5 year old hardware is perfectly adequate and will in no way hold you back from finding a job in the industry.  Demonstrate that you can make good art,  your hardware is largely irrelevant as long as you can run common software.

If you want to buy a new PC for some reason more power to you, but you don't need it to make art that'll get you hired.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might consider upgrading the 1070 to an RTX card if you want to do ray tracing stuff. Otherwise, your hardware specs are completely fine. Your computer is not holding you back from making good art work.
  • Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did all the diagnostic tests on memory, storage drives, and CPU. It's all perfectly healthy. I think one of the things that are causing the crashing is that my hard drive space is almost full and it has gotten a lot slower because of that. Also, my CPU is always at 100% often times when working with UE4 or Quixel Mixer.

This is probably relevant. I think the rule of thumb is to always keep 25% free space with SSDs. Your current hardware specs look totally adequate btw.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/165542/why-solid-state-drives-slow-down-as-you-fill-them-up/
    Yeah, I have noticed that my game drive which is my old 250GB SSD gets really slow when filled up and it does get filled up thanks to games being 60+ GB nowadays. I'm upgrading all of the storage drives and just sell the old ones to my friends. Should help a lot with performance and reduce the load on the cpu trying to load files quicker.
  • Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J said:

I assure you that you don't need new top of the line hardware to "keep up with the latest tech and graphic quality", as others have pointed out, 5 year old hardware is perfectly adequate and will in no way hold you back from finding a job in the industry.  Demonstrate that you can make good art,  your hardware is largely irrelevant as long as you can run common software.

If you want to buy a new PC for some reason more power to you, but you don't need it to make art that'll get you hired.
    True. True. I just don't want to fall too far behind with hardware specs to the point where it becomes a burden. I have been in that situation before and it was not fun. Fun fact, my previous computer caught on fire because it was rendering frames after frames for a school project. It was an iMac. I will hold on to this pc until next year once things are better and there is new everything (cases, USB 4, ddr5 memory, RTX 4000 series, new CPUs, etc). I will just upgrade the storage and if I get lucky, I will upgrade the graphics card to 2070 or better as long the price is fair. 
  • Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might consider upgrading the 1070 to an RTX card if you want to do ray tracing stuff. Otherwise, your hardware specs are completely fine. Your computer is not holding you back from making good art work.
    I will definitely upgrade the graphics card to a 2070 or 3070 (as long it's not a bottleneck to the CPU) and if I can get them at all seeing that it's very hard to find a graphics card today for a fair price.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    "[...] There are now next-gen graphics and you have to keep up with the latest tech and graphic quality, otherwise, it will be harder to find a job in the gaming industry if your portfolio looks like game art from 6 years ago."

I take umbrage with this, mates of mine working freelance - game dev / vfx / military sim, since the mid 90s and they utilize 'supposedly' dead tech...

Sick and tired seeing this shit regurgitated!

It's not the hardware - software package that gets your ass through the door, it's the sheer standard required being pumped out the end of it which typically counts.  
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they guys who get hired arent those that are born with some special talent or rich parents who update their hardware quarterly. In order to improve at anything all you have to do is find those parts of yourself that inhibit progress and find a workaround for them. Their is no secret workflows, it's basic shit like dont stay up all damn night, eat some vegetables, drink water, put your phone away when you are working - basic shit. 

And then the saddest thing people do is preemptively setup excuses for failure. Don't do that. Don't leave an escape route. If you are gonna do the thing just do it all the way or die trying. "I tried to get in but I wasn't tall enough." Bullshit!

Everyday we all come up with a lot of bullshit reasons to procrastinate. Sometimes you got to lie a little bit to get your boss of your back cause he's an asshole and pushes too hard or whatever but if you sell your own bullshit to yourself you wont be able to remove the obstacles to progress and you wont progress. In the end you wont get the job, and in the worst case scenario you starve and die. 

So please, forget about the hardware and just focus on making the lines have all the wonderful curves and the colors nice and pretty and everything will be okay.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    .....have all the wonderful curves and the colors nice and pretty and everything will be okay.

This is probably the best sentence I ever read!
  • Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I'm not saying I won't do any project or push the limits of what's possible with my pc. I'm just preparing for a new pc which is going to happen. It's almost like you are going on a rant about something else like I'm not trying or making excuses. It's a legit excuse if it becomes a problem or obstacle in your way. For example, having an RTX card would help me, yes. Is it needed right now or stopping me from producing work. Not yet. You can't just stick with a 10-year old pc and say "stop making excuses". A computer is a tool and if it becomes a problem or too old to do the job, well then...

I'm going to buy a hard drive and new SSD because it will make my life easier and stop my pc from crashing or taking mins to load a simple file when it should take seconds. I will get a new pc just in time for UE5 because I want to take advantage of UE5 software and produce high-quality work. It sounds like you have gone to the extreme end of only software is important when the hardware is also important. 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how you spend your money is your business but some of these guys here really know hardware and if they tell me my computer is good enough then i'd start thinking performance issues would likely mean i was doing things in a weird way then.
  • Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J said:
    how you spend your money is your business but some of these guys here really know hardware and if they tell me my computer is good enough then i'd start thinking performance issues would likely mean i was doing things in a weird way then.
    I agree that software is more important than hardware. There I said it. I have told that too many of my pc gamers friends bash game consoles which is an argument I point out that software and optimization are even more important than hardware especially when you can have amazing looking games like Last of Us Part II on PS4. On the bright side, programmers and artists have to think creatively to optimize games too. 

My point is eventually hardware has to be replaced to keep up with the latest software. Right now, we are going through a big change in graphics and hardware. 

I just tested one of my UE4 project files on an SSD (copied from HDD) and it suddenly got 20 fps more and loads much quicker. That tells me that my 8-year old HDD is becoming a bottleneck that needs to be fixed before it becomes a bigger problem.  
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You dont have to depend your position, nobody really cares that much. You can just do whatever you want to do and people on the internet wont know the difference. 

The only thing to do is take away valuable insight or not. 

The wise thing to do is assume that other people might know something you don't.Especially those who have long careers in the field and specialize in exactly the type of thing you are talking about. 

That's not me but I can offer a little general workflow advice. Consider this piece from your portfolio: 

You mention in the description you did a lot of high poly modeling. That was wasted time and resources because the work doesn't showcase any high poly detail. And if it did, that would still be wasted because the fundamentals of good art are missing from this scene. So in the end you probably spent too much time sculpting and noodling with "next gen" lighting and rendering and not enough time making sure the tree looked pretty and the scene had a pleasant composition.

Making good art takes the same skills as making good conversation. You just have to know how to communicate with people. The computer and all the nerdy tech is just the medium, but in the end what you are doing is making something that has to communicate with another person.

The fundamentals of art is the language you need to learn first, and it doesn't require high end hardware. Even if your computer was much lousier than yours is, if you are a real artist that is going to shine through regardless of what obstacles you face. Think about that old asian dude who makes beautiful art with microsoft excel. Can you imagine how tedious that is? If i was him i would have just died of boredom, but he is a true artist.

You could take this scene right here, light it using a single directional light, use albedo textures only for models, redo the tree so it looks like an actual tree, and just focus on composition, color theory, and think about how the scene reads and feels to the viewer, and you'll have a AAA piece of art. I'd focus not just only on this scene but only this specific camera angle from this scene. Delete everything else. It is bloating the project and probably makes it take too long to open.
    Put it up on your screen and watch/read as much "fundamentals of art" instruction as you can, and try to apply the things you learn about to this image. Then make a plan how you can fix it and get started. When you get to the point where you need community to assess your work the question shouldnt be, "what should I do?" but "what do I not know that is keeping this from being as good as it should be?"

• Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's good advice!
    That tree pinewood project is the oldest project in my portfolio. I'm planning on removing it and replacing it with a new project in near future. All my projects in the future are going to be very small and focus on high quality and composition. I'm totally guilty of having the scope of my projects being too large or trying to get so much when it can lower quality and overall composition. I think a lot of students were guilty of this. 

My next project is just a simple abandoned prison cell from Germany which has an old wooden bed bench and toilet with grungy walls and a window with light coming in. I thought that was perfect for my next project, it's small but you can really focus on the quality and overall composition. 

My biggest regret starting with game dev and 3d graphics is not keeping the scope of the project to a reasonable size. 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

My biggest regret starting with game dev and 3d graphics is not keeping the scope of the project to a reasonable size. 
    Welcome to the club. :)