Home Technical Talk

Zbrush 2021.6.4

gnoop
polycounter
Offline / Send Message
gnoop polycounter
I stopped to update Zbrush for  quite  some time ago   because  usually it's nothing useful,  just some crazy  weird  modelling  tools nobody  use  really and nothing for old same  core  limitations.    Also old useful scripts/plugins stop to work usually.

Does anybody follow  Zbrush  and could tell if  there is anything  worth downloading this time?

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character

Personally I agree. I'm on 4R8. B)

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Thanks thomasp .  it's what I needed.  Tired to look through their presentation videos
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Well for me its always worth it. Just the fact that fbx 2020 works well with Marmoset is already enough reason to stay up with zB versions. @thomasp if 4R8 does it for you that's super.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    @kanga I updated the 2021 version several times until I realised that all I want from ZBrush is to sculpt on lots of polygons without a hitch. I did not care for their subtool folder implementation and rather stay away from anything that produces mess requiring retopo so most of the key recent additions are not helpful to me. If I need e.g. booleans or a sim I do that in Blender on a clean geometry and import afterwards to sculpt on top.

To me it's just a bother to update the ZBrush working environment each and every time.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Originally I started with Zbrush 4R6 since 2014, and updated to 2019 when I bought the licence. The workflow to use it was the same as before. Haven't updated it since 2019. I also find it a bit cumbersome to update.

To be honest, I'm still using a fraction of Zbrush' capabilities. Basically I'm just sculpting only organic stuff with few important brushes on a subdividable base mesh. The only beneficial difference between 4R6 and 2019 for me is, that 2019 is 64-bit and can use RAM limitlessly, instead of that silly 4GB limitation.