Home Technical Talk

Texture resolution in bigger game assets?

Hello, I am making some assets for a game. I am still very new to this and I have run into some problems regarding the uv maps. I am not sure I'm doing this correctly. My assets are on the larger scale, height or width being usually around 3-4m. I try to keep the texel density at 10.24 with a 2k texture but  can't fit my object in the uv space this way so for some objects I made multiple uv sets (udims?) and for one of them I have used a 4k texture. Of course the final textures will be lowered if they look fine but I am afraid it might cause a problem in unreal engine? especially the multiple texture sets. I can't repeat a lot of my texture because the objects need to have dirt/rust and I don't want to it look too symmetrical so I have to use separate uv shells.
Thank you in advance.

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Uniquely baked/textured assets can only be so large before you run into a texel density issue - depending on what the asset it, and how it's used, look into using procedural/tileable materials, or if you must, multiple UVs/material IDs to bring your texel density inline. 
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    For very large assets you blend between several tiled materials using vertex colors, and project details using deferred decals.
  • wandering_snail
    Kanni3d said:
    Uniquely baked/textured assets can only be so large before you run into a texel density issue - depending on what the asset it, and how it's used, look into using procedural/tileable materials, or if you must, multiple UVs/material IDs to bring your texel density inline. 
    I don't think they are large enough to tile them. What do you mean by multiple UVs/material IDs? That's what I don't understand. Is that different from having multiple uv sets? They are not huge assets but the are maybe two times the size of a person.
  • rexo12
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator
    MatIDs are different from UDIMs. Having multiple MatIDs can be thought of as having multiple shaders assigned to different parts of the model. In this case though, the only difference between the shaders would be their UV's/textures.

What are you modelling in?

• toxicsludge77
    Offline / Send Message
    toxicsludge77 polycounter lvl 5
    Depends on what you're doing, but you could use a mix of tiling textures, mat blending via vertex colours, trim sheets, decals and maybe a 2nd uv set for texture masks.

I wanted to learn more about texture masks so I used them on this church for dirt/paint in combination with tiling textures.

Check out Dylans awesome tutorial about multiple UVS if you need more info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfXGAjHwzD4
  • wandering_snail
    I use 3d studio max and substance painter for the textures. I also use material IDs to separate them in substance painter and not have them all in one place and I have read about using them for resolution but I don´t get it? 
    @toxicsludge77 I have no idea what most of those terms are XD I will study the series you send me and see if I understand anything! I will ask if I have other doubts about the specifics. Thank you all! 
  • Eric Chadwick
  • wandering_snail

Okay, I don´t really understand how to do it. I don´t have a structure with walls or buildings, it´s like one of those playground slide things and it has various parts that I need to bake so I´m not sure how I´d go about tiling them. I did watch the tutorial but I didn´t find something that I could apply in my situation. Is there something I´m missing?

• rexo12
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator

That kind of prop is tricky, and in this case it is probably appropriate to allocate an extra MatID to handpainting it with a sufficient density. Do consider whether you really need to bake it though, maybe you can trade geometry for texel density and use tiling or trims on some pieces of it?

Probably worth posting what you have and what you've tried so far :)

• Eric Chadwick

A rusty playground set could be done with tiled textures, vertex-painted blends, and modular trims.

A few pics would help.

• Ghogiel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    You could also do both a macro 0-1 UV'd bake to get an AO, color and normal and then use a couple blended tiling textures on top, blended either via vertex paint or a painted mask map based on the 0-1 UV

for example like these big ruins from GoW  https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2R36a

I do expect that breaking that sort of slide object down into a few parts and making a trim for it, then constructing the final low poly after that would probably be best rather than unqiely baking everything.