Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Kirin Jindosh Lab - Dishonored 2 fan art

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
AngrySokol polycounter lvl 7
Hi there!

I am starting a new project - Kirin Jindosh Lab from Dishonored 2 in Unreal Engine. Yes, Dishonored again :)
My plan is - create the main laboratory room, the second floor where Jindosh sits, also a corridor over the waterfall, and an elevator room with the elevator.
Yes, there is a lot to do, I have not so much ready stuff from the Hypatia apartment project, but hey, why not)
 So, let's have some fun!

Replies

• AngrySokol
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I decided to start blocking from the corridor.
    For size measure I used Jindosh dead body ) As I know, the size of the male characters in Dishonored is nearly 195 sm, so basically I used 2m as a start point. 
    I created floor planks and added some base textures, then started blocking the window. For the glass, I want t use cubemaps, because I don't think it would be right to leave an empty sky behind the scene of the corridor.
    Basically for this project, I need 4 types of the cubemaps - two sides of view from the corridor, sky, and view to another room. Good luck to me! :smiley:
  • AngrySokol
    Offline / Send Message
    Some screenshots of my progress 

• AngrySokol
    Offline / Send Message
    I started to play with fake windows. So, I made some panoramas from Dishonored, converted them to hdrs with NVIDIA Texture Tools, and voila! Now I am not happy with the result, I need some god rays for faking the light from the exterior, also I need to think about dirty masks on the glass. The problem is that it is a big window, so now I need to create a big plane, bake all window masks on it to add some dirt and other stuff. That's how I see the solution right now. 

• AngrySokol
    Offline / Send Message
    I just understood how I can create windows!
    Well, there will be 2 planes - the first one is for the faked environment with no rough or gloss, just a picture, the second one plane is going to be my glass - with spec, rough, masks, etc. I think this is a good decision, hope to test it today.

• AngrySokol
    Offline / Send Message
    So, that's what I've got right now. I added plane glass with its own textures, edit the metal part of the bridge, and added some godsray on the scene. 
    There are some bugs with uvs, also textures look not so good as I want them to be, this all need improvements. 

• CoreyJArt
    Looking really good!

I think more break up on the floor would help some, keep finding my eye drifting there

• AngrySokol
    Offline / Send Message
    @CoreyJArt Thank you!
    Yes, I am going to work with the floor, now it's too simple and has no history in it. 
  • AngrySokol
    Offline / Send Message
    I continue to block out the corridor. 
    I used a lamp from a previous project and there is a bug with uvs, so it needs to be fixed.

Also, the windows in-game are thinner and aesthetic, so I need it also need some improvement. 

That's why I create quick textures and test all my basic scene in Unreal - I can see more signs than only in 3d editor.

So, I will work with these parts, then make doors and arc for it, then a lever, then improve my backgrounds and the corridor is ready :smiley:
  • AngrySokol
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I want to create not only the environment but also Kirin Jindosh and his Clockwork Soldiers.
    That why now I sculpt Jindosh face. It's very interesting, his face is soooo strange and interesting!
    Some wips:

• AngrySokol
    Offline / Send Message
    Some updates of the face! 
    So, I think that I am in the final stage with detailing it, the main problem is the hair. I like how Artists from Dishonored sculpt hair, it looks soft, natural, stylized... I want the same for my artwork. For now, I change his hair four times! But if worth it. 
    Screenshot of the progress: 

• AngrySokol
    Offline / Send Message
    I started to texturing Kirin. Textures from Dishonored are very complex, there are a lot of details on them. I should try to get results like in-game as much as possible. 
    I understood too late that hair strands I had to do not separate from the head - but we have what we have now. I hope that in the end, the model will look at least good ) 
    Some renders:

• JohannesAg
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    Cool project, I love the art from dishonored.
    If you are willing to go back and fix some stuff on the head there are some things you feel like you could touch up.
    Not the greatest paintover here but here we go.
    I think the jaw goes too far back, the hair could go further down and is missing the "sweep" thing, the hairline should have a sort of M shap, the neck is a bit short, mustache is a little thick, and I don´t think he has a chin dimple thing, the area around the eyes could use some love and the shaping of the eye is  a little tilted, the bumps beneath the mouth are a bit too much and the forehead shape is a little flat.
    Hope that helps :)

• AngrySokol
    Offline / Send Message
    @JohannesAg Wow, thank you for your feedback! Well, your paintover is good, I see some stuff that I didn't see before. 
    Yes, after baking and adding some textures I saw that he looks not like I want. Also, my work-related acquaintances showed me where I failed on my sculpt, so I am fixing his head now. 
    And I want to make his hair added to his head, so there will be a nice conversion between skin and hair. 
    For the main ref of his head, I use this original renders of sculpt by Farid Dridi 

Now my sculpt looks like this, but there are a lot of stuff to fix 

• AngrySokol
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey hey! 
    I think that now his head looks much better. Still have some issues with his hair, but now I really like all his head more.

• AngrySokol
    Offline / Send Message
    Last few days I worked with face textures, and now it's what I have :

I don't know if it is the final version or I'll improve it later, so now I am creating Jindosh cloth: