Home Career & Education

Bachelors Degree for aspiring 3D environment artist in Brisbane, Australia

Hi all, I am an aspiring 3D environment artist based in Brisbane, Australia and currently I am enrolled at QUT in a Bachelors of Fine Arts course majoring in animation. I am worried that maybe this course isn't right for me as only a quarter of it seems relevant to what I want to do when I am working professionally. Obviously a course isn't going to be specifically about 3D environment art, but I was hoping any of you might know of a bachelors degree that is more in line with my career aspirations

Replies

• Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    There are very, very few game art uni programs in the world that are worth the time and money. And even then, it still boils down to what the student puts into it and how much drive they have to research and experiment outside of established course work. You're better off getting a non game art bachelors purely as a tool for visa and to broaden yourself (something to fall back on too if this doesn't work out). Meanwhile focusing on your game art education through self teaching, online courses (CGMA for example), mentorships and getting involved in 3D art discord communities that push discussion and art challenges.
  • WarriorN2000
    There are very, very few game art uni programs in the world that are worth the time and money. And even then, it still boils down to what the student puts into it and how much drive they have to research and experiment outside of established course work.
    Yea, I have heard this from quite a few people, to the point were I am kind of considering maybe dropping out and dedicating as much time as possible to my own personal projects, maybe pursuing courses on CGMA like you said. I guess I am a little apprehensive since I have pretty much had it hammered into me that I need to get a bachelors.
  • Taylor Brown
  • WarriorN2000
    Mainly family, my mum especially, she seems to not grasp the concept that the creative industries rely less on degrees and more on portfolios. Although my older sister is much more understanding, as she herself is a 2D artist.
  • Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Ah right. Well, there's really no harm in getting a degree for help with any potential visas in your future. Supply is much higher than demand in our industry, when it comes to people trying to get in.. even more so for a place like Aus with a pretty small amount of studios. So again, I am not saying don't get a degree in general.. just think hard on getting a game art degree as they are next to useless in most regards.
  • WarriorN2000
    Is a Bachelors of Fine Arts (Animation) considered a game art degree?
  • InvaderRoxas
    Offline / Send Message
    InvaderRoxas polycounter lvl 2
    Is a Bachelors of Fine Arts (Animation) considered a game art degree?
    That is what I'll be receiving once I finish my degree (which offers a game track), and it's often what I see listed under education requirements if there are any in job/internship listings, along with bachelors in the computer science category if it's something more tech-art related. 
  • WarriorN2000
    Well thanks guys for your responses. It is a lot to think about and I am still not entirely sure what I am going to do but I appreciate the advice either way
  • Eric Chadwick
    Don't forget, working in games usually involves moving frequently (on average about every 1.5 to 2 years), and if you expand outside your home country you widen the pool considerably.

A work visa is often required, and a college degree strengthens (but does not guarantee) a successful USA visa application. Probably also for other countries too.

So, a degree is often worth it.
  • WarriorN2000
    A work visa is often required, and a college degree strengthens (but does not guarantee) a successful USA visa application. Probably also for other countries too.

So, a degree is often worth it.
    Yea you're right, after giving it some thought it is more beneficial to have a degree rather than not having one, aside from the large debt of course, but that isn't as much of an issue in Aus as you just pay it back in taxes.