Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] First time sculpting stylized rocks, looking for feedback!

Alan314
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Alan314 polycounter lvl 2
Hey everyone, this is my first time working on stylized assets, really going for a Warcraft kind of feel, I'd appreciate any feedback!

Replies

• InvaderRoxas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InvaderRoxas polycounter lvl 4
    Hey there, this is a nice start! I think what could help you the most is having a good balance of hard edges and soft spots. At the moment, I think your overall shape language feels a little soft, so while the details tell me rock, the silhouette of the rock itself seems more like a blob. I think some nice cracks could help too, as I'm not seeing too many of those. I do really like how you have these edges that are pushing with strong highlights, that is really carrying the stylized look for me!
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Before worrying about stylization, try sculpting rocks based on real world references. You should always try to understand the source materials basic forms / shape language before trying to bend or break the rules (ie. 'stylize' them).
  • Alan314
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there, this is a nice start! I think what could help you the most is having a good balance of hard edges and soft spots. At the moment, I think your overall shape language feels a little soft, so while the details tell me rock, the silhouette of the rock itself seems more like a blob. I think some nice cracks could help too, as I'm not seeing too many of those. I do really like how you have these edges that are pushing with strong highlights, that is really carrying the stylized look for me!

Hey!  Thank you very much for your feedback!  What would you say the crack distribution would rely on?  Is there a particular pattern or mode of thought involved in making decisions about that? (Apart from reference, of course).  Thanks again!
  • Alan314
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz said:
    Before worrying about stylization, try sculpting rocks based on real world references. You should always try to understand the source materials basic forms / shape language before trying to bend or break the rules (ie. 'stylize' them).

Hey!  Thank you very much for your feedback, I'll definitely do that, do you know of any particular reference I can be following or do I just google/pinterest things as I go?
    Thanks again!
  • demigodssw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demigodssw greentooth
    I use a mix of trim smooth border with a hard box alpha and Orb brushes to sculpt rocks. Some people also like the mallet brushes a lot.
  • Alan314
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use a mix of trim smooth border with a hard box alpha and Orb brushes to sculpt rocks. Some people also like the mallet brushes a lot.

Hey thank you!  I completely forgot to use the mallet brush this time, will improve on the sculpt and share again!  (Might have to look into orb brushes :smile: )
    Thanks again!
  • demigodssw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demigodssw greentooth
    Also this tutorial might be of use. It helped me a lot when I started sculpting rocks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReYMH6wJ2As
  • Alan314
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also this tutorial might be of use. It helped me a lot when I started sculpting rocks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReYMH6wJ2As

That's awesome dude I really appreciate it!  Thank you!