Home Technical Talk

Poly count for hand grenades?

AB3LL1
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
AB3LL1 polycounter lvl 5
Hello there, I'm making the low poly of a flashbang asset and I included a simplified interior for the fuze but my poly count is at 6K and I'm wondering if this is acceptable for a first person grenade on current/next gen?

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Worry less about total tricount, and worry more about silhouette definition. View distance is your largest determining factor.

For example, this resolution would look fine for third-person, but would be overkill for top down/birdseye view. As an FPS, silhouette/shape definition is paramount, and this would still be a bit too low. Avoid chunky/"low-poly" looking edges as much as you can, even if it means adding several loops.

In other words, just make it look good within reason. Right now, there's some areas you can totally remove loops, and some other areas where you can add topology. As long as it's justified and within reason, you're removing/terminating loops that don't affect the silhouette at all, and you also aren't working on something with a low budget like mobile - triangle limits shouldn't be a stopping factor.
  • AB3LL1
    Offline / Send Message
    AB3LL1 polycounter lvl 5
    @Kanni3d Thanks a lot! I remade my low poly with your feedback.

• Eric Chadwick
    Your topology is still really inconsistent, lots of "wasted" edges. 

Why the ring around each hole? Why continue loops through flat areas? Curved details on top area have way more edges than curves below. Etc.
  • Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    heh damn game art and its subjectivity! i thought the first go was a pretty solid low poly even for first person :P
  • AB3LL1
    Offline / Send Message
    AB3LL1 polycounter lvl 5
    @Eric Chadwick Hello, thank you for the feedback!
    The reason for adding that ring around the holes was to hold the shading, the loops on flat surfaces of the nut shape I don't know how to terminate those, maya's default triangulation keeps making the same topology.

I'm sorry but I'm still not sure on how to fix this inconsistency.

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Try something like this, maybe? As long as there aren't extreme shading, it should be fine.

Another thing to consider is "density" (goes in hand with consistency) in your topology. It's a broad term, but what it means in this sense is that you have this cylindrical detail making up the pin, which is made up of a reasonable amount of sides, but then you have the another detail right next to it, with much more segments on something that is MUCH smaller, thus giving inconsistency on density. The reason why this is important, is because this is where topology/triangles can get culled with no visual difference.

It's almost inverted in your case, as things that get larger/thicker, require more segments for definition.

You can basically analyze your whole model, and continuously ask yourself "okay, why does this smaller detail get so much definition, but this one right next to it is chunky?". Having them too close to eachtoher especially juxtaposes it, and makes it immediately obvious something is inconsistent. Hope that makes sense :) 
  • AB3LL1
    Offline / Send Message
    AB3LL1 polycounter lvl 5
    @Kanni3d Awesome! that whole density/consistency explanation is super helpful, this makes so much sense now :)