Home Marmoset

Marmoset Toolbag 4 not enough vram for RTX 3070?

HapZungLam2
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
HapZungLam2 polycounter lvl 7
I recently got a new MSI laptop(GP66 10UG-036CA Leopard) equipted with NVIDIA GeForce RTX3070  8G GDDR6, 16G DDR4 system memory.  When I load the scene that I was working on.  As I turn on full quality render all of the object disappeared.  Left with just the HDR.    However my old desktop with GTX 970, i7 950, system memory 24gb works just fine. It is really slow but it works at least.  Can't believe an RTX 3070 won't able to load.  Is there any option in Marmoset Toolbag that I can make sure it is using the RTX 3070 and not the intel graphics?

Replies

• HapZungLam2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • HapZungLam2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The error you're seeing here is specific to the RTX Accelerated ray tracing back end, which means your 3070 is likely being detected and used.

Toolbag 4 requires additional memory when compared to Toolbag 3, especially when using ray tracing. So if you were able to fit your scene into video memory with Toolbag 3, that doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to with Toolbag 4. All assets in your scene must fit into video memory with some additional memory free for the ray tracing system to function. Some things you can try:

• Close all other applications when working with complex scenes in Toolbag, especially other content creation applications, but even web browsers can take up a significant amount of VRAM if left open with many tabs for an extended period
    • Reduce the resolution and bit-depth of textures if possible. For instance, an 8K 16-bit image requires 8x as much memory as a 4K 8-bit image.
    • If your scene has dense meshes (ie: millions of triangles) consider decimating them
    • Remove any unused meshes or textures, all objects in the scene are stored in video memory (even hidden objects or materials that are not applied to meshes)
    • If you've set your viewport resolution to High DPI, try setting it to standard instead. Using a smaller area for the ray traced viewport can help to manage memory as well, for instance using the setup workspace and only having one of the 4 viewports set to full quality
    • Set the ray tracing engine to the Generic mode, you can do this in Edit > Preferences > GPU (this will require a reset). This will result in more efficient VRAM use, but slower ray tracing performance on RTX cards. We have some work-in-progress features that should reduce memory use in the RTX mode in the future

Generally speaking, the VRAM counter can be a little unreliable. Unfortunately, the operating system/video drivers don't report VRAM information very well. What this number shows is how much of the VRAM budget is currently in use, this budget is assigned by the operating system and can vary depending on what other applications you have open. You can check VRAM usage in Windows Task Manager as well, that number isn't necessarily accurate either but may give you a better idea of overall VRAM usage.