Home Technical Talk

Is modeling in Fusion 360 game ready?

focus_method
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 4
Hi,
i see plenty of good hard surface weaponary results ade with fusion 360.
So since it's CAD software, are those meshes game ready? 

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Not at all, they can be quite heavy.
    Although, I did find that you can export/import a .step file (other file types probably have this property as well), which will import (3ds max at least) with a dialog and a slider, giving you the ability to import a really dense/high resolution of your cad mesh, and the ability to have the slider really low for a lower res, kind of acceptable game ready mesh.

It'll do most of the work, but 9 times out of 10 you'll have to do some manual work/cleanup.
  • lluc21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc21 polycounter lvl 5
    What I've seen people do the most is to create the high poly model in Fusion and then the low poly somewhere else.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
  • focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but in comparison to 3dsmax,maya,blender, i believe chamfer,fillets,lofts are way more stabile in fusion360 and moi3d 
  • focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is moi3d CAD software?
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but in comparison to 3dsmax,maya,blender, i believe chamfer,fillets,lofts are way more stabile in fusion360 and moi3d 
    Yes, parametric double precision (CAD) enables high tolerances.
    is moi3d CAD software?
    I've not personally worked with it however afaik a NURBS biased application.
  • motionblur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motionblur polycounter lvl 11
    @focus_methodI am by no means a CAD modeler - so take this with a grain of salt. For the same reason as you became intersted in CAD and stumbeled across MOI. I'll give you the short summary of what I've gathrered back then ;)

MOI seems to reside somewhere in between traditional CAD and a free modeler. It does a few things deliberately very different from CAD software. Foremost it's UI is made with Pen Tablet users in mind. So it doesn't rely on keyboard shortcuts and complex input devices to be usable as intended. You can - but you don't have to. Secondly while it's possible to model precisely the idea of MOI is more to be fast and free flowing. It seems not as many actions are parametric as in other CAD software. Hence the name "Moment of Inspiration".

The sole developer of MOI, Michael Gibson, has also created another CAD program before that. Some might have heared of it, it's called Rhino. ;)
    So he does have quite some experience in the field, I assume.

Best thing to do is probably to download the demo. Version 4 has just been released. For version 3 there used to be two Demo versions: one without the ability to save but also without time limit and one regular 30 day trial.

MOI also has the licensing and price going for it. It's roughly $300 and has a permanent license. No subscription no "please contact us to get a quote on the price" bullshit.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I tried moi3d years ago and an exported mesh from it came with issues , especially regarding vertex normals/shading,  flipped or doubled 2 sided faces sometimes .

So I gave up on that kind of software and never tried it any more .   It had no way to keep parametric stack  also like 3d max or Blender  so once something is done it's done.  

Any changes  with those  nowdays?
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Fusion360 is fully parametric. Moi3D is mostly destructive, it has some parametric tools but it's mostly experimental.
    Both output models with fantastic shading though, really satisfying to use as highpoly or even as dense lowpoly with a little bit of welding and manual touchups.

Anyways - this topic comes back every other month, every time someone thinks they stumbled on a magical way to speed things up. It's not that straightforward, but CAD is an excellent thing to have in one's arsenal still.

I don't really understand the question of the OP though - just try out both, you'll see for yourself.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Thanks pior   Time for another  try I gues

• emilywaatson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    emilywaatson polycounter lvl 3
    is moi3d CAD software?
    Yes it is.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably splitting hairs...

Moi in my opinion leans toward a 'hybrid' NURBS/CAD/Boolean suite of tools, just from info picked up via further research but whatever term one cares to use, this lightweight program packs some grunt under the hood and even more impressive as was mentioned previously upthread, a one man band effort (Michael Gibson). Also digging around on their boards, there's certainly an active community behind it, turning out a selection of sweet looking hard class A surfaced content.

For those interested:
  • quocbao2310
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quocbao2310 polycounter lvl 5
    Hi,
    i see plenty of good hard surface weaponary results ade with fusion 360.
    So since it's CAD software, are those meshes game ready? 

Yes you can , but you have to do some stuffs to optimize the mesh manually . Here is a gun i made in Fusion 360 for the test and it is game ready  :3
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Tried moi3d one more time.  Normals/shading export is impressive  . But  it makes lots of redundant  vertexes making you issues when it comes to LODs.     Is it  fixable somehow?  Or am I  still supposed to slide them together  manually?   

• quocbao2310
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quocbao2310 polycounter lvl 5
    gnoop said:
    Tried moi3d one more time.  Normals/shading export is impressive  . But  it makes lots of redundant  vertexes making you issues when it comes to LODs.     Is it  fixable somehow?  Or am I  still supposed to slide them together  manually?   

You Have to fix it manually :)