Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[FINISHED] Stylized Hero - Spark

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
UchiLT polycounter lvl 6
LAST UPDATE , HE IS FINISHED! https://www.artstation.com/artwork/AqGrby

I decided to share my progess of this piece. I'm quite ahead with it but I'm going to need feedback and suggestions for texturing!

Here we have the highpoly 

And current state of texturing Inspired by this concept of Yao Wang 
Right now I'm adding some variation on roughness and creating gradients here and there

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Few quick thoughts:

It looks like his knees are 2/3 down his legs atm, which if so will look quite strange when bent.
    The upper arms in the concept are also thinner then what you have there.
    Eyebrows seem too light, and eyelashes (or darkness on eyelid rim) is missing.
    Seems you also simplified the front belt patch, and removed the back of the hood.
    The lower front part of the boots appear to have been enlarged and rounded to fit his feet instead of being mechanical extensions, was that the intent?

Model is quite far along, but I wouldn't move into texturing just yet.
  • UchiLT
    Offline / Send Message
    UchiLT polycounter lvl 6
    First of all thanks for the feedback!

-He has super long legs so that may give a strange perception of his knee position, but its been checked by a few ppl and I think it will work well
    -At first I tried to match his arms but it looked like he couldnt lift those mechanic parts so made arms a little bigger
    -I'll work on eyebrows and to be honest I'm not sure how I will approach eyelases. Im testing mesh eyelashes and darker eyelid rim to see what I like the most
    -Yeah I simplified that
    -An this was on purpose yes, since I'm not matching it 1 to 1

PolyHertz said:
    Few quick thoughts:

It looks like his knees are 2/3 down his legs atm, which if so will look quite strange when bent.
    The upper arms in the concept are also thinner then what you have there.
    Eyebrows seem too light, and eyelashes (or darkness on eyelid rim) is missing.
    Seems you also simplified the front belt patch, and removed the back of the hood.
    The lower front part of the boots appear to have been enlarged and rounded to fit his feet instead of being mechanical extensions, was that the intent?

Model is quite far along, but I wouldn't move into texturing just yet.

• UchiLT
    Offline / Send Message
    UchiLT polycounter lvl 6
    Another update!

Added eyelashes
    Improved face texture a bit
    Jacket variation

• UchiLT
    Offline / Send Message
    UchiLT polycounter lvl 6
    Not sure if adding the letter or not... opinions? 
  • MattDawe
    Hey, is this your character/design or did you get it from somewhere else? PolyHertz mentioned something about "the concept," but I don't know if he was just talking about the highpoly or not.

Otherwise, I'm digging the details you've added so far. I would recommend pushing the color values to contrast each other more. I did the good ol' grayscale + blur test and noticed a couple things.

• A lot of the details don't stand out anymore, like the letter on his shirt, the red lines on the boots, and the red strands of hair.
    • None of the colors really get that bright in overall. In general, it's more aesthetically pleasing to have a high range of color values.
    Just something to consider. Looking forward to seeing the finished result!
  • UchiLT
    Offline / Send Message
    UchiLT polycounter lvl 6
    MattDawe said:
    Hey, is this your character/design or did you get it from somewhere else? PolyHertz mentioned something about "the concept," but I don't know if he was just talking about the highpoly or not.

Otherwise, I'm digging the details you've added so far. I would recommend pushing the color values to contrast each other more. I did the good ol' grayscale + blur test and noticed a couple things.

• A lot of the details don't stand out anymore, like the letter on his shirt, the red lines on the boots, and the red strands of hair.
    • None of the colors really get that bright in overall. In general, it's more aesthetically pleasing to have a high range of color values.
    Just something to consider. Looking forward to seeing the finished result!
    Thanks for the comment Matt! Its based on a concept by Yao Wang:
     https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/019/757/288/large/yao-wang-e08633bd-82d9-4888-9a79-514c8f64c45b.jpg?1564893262

I'm not copying 1 to 1 but most of the stuff its there. You might be right on the value issue but its also being affected by more elements than the diffuse map itself so it may change a lot depending on my render settings, lighting and so on. Did the same greyscale + blur on some reference pieces and their range isn't far from what I've got. I'll take a look to it anyways and thanks once again!
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Pretty cool model so far!  I feel like his head is too small.  I realize it's small in the concept but it looks odd to me in 3D.  Just my ten cents!
  • UchiLT
    Offline / Send Message
    UchiLT polycounter lvl 6

After fixing pants shading error and getting rid of light being too strong (probably switching an omni for a spot and tweaking values is enough to solve it) on his arm metal part I think I can go ahead and work in a rig for posing purposes
  • UchiLT
    Offline / Send Message
    UchiLT polycounter lvl 6
    Testing poses... probably I'm going to stick with something similar to this. Have to add electric rays and tweak some lighting 
  • UchiLT
    Offline / Send Message
    UchiLT polycounter lvl 6
    Okay its time to add in emissive lightnings! 
  • UchiLT
    Offline / Send Message
    UchiLT polycounter lvl 6
    People on Discord suggested he was off balance so readjusted him and finally added effects! Now I have to add some blue light touches here and there 
  • UchiLT
    Offline / Send Message
    UchiLT polycounter lvl 6
    I can call it done now! And as always more pics on ArtStation!  https://www.artstation.com/artwork/AqGrby