Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Vase with flowers

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Agelink polycounter lvl 2
Hi everyone!

I decided to record the progress of a project once again. Something small that can be finished in a few weeks tops.
As a refresher I decided to make a still life in 3D based on a painting of a set of flowers. I watched this great tutorial by Tyler Smith on how to make a flower prop. I want to attempt the same technique and apply it to a study of this painting by Rachel Ruysch:

Another inspiration for this project are these beautiful flowers from Dishonored 2, made by Yannick Gombart:

Replies

• Agelink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Research:
    I plan to sculpt the individual petals and leafs, and then baking the result onto low poly planes which I'll shape into the final flowers.
    Step one is to identify each flower in the painting and then finding the necessary references for the shapes, colors and textures for the petals and leafs.

My mom is an expert in flora, so together we identified each flower in this painting (excuse the Dutch names)
    After that I made a collection with pictures of each flower. Surprisingly it was near impossible for me to find any individual flower petal images.

• Agelink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

A small progress shot :)
    This was the first test run to get familiar with the techniques. The leafs follow photo ref a bit too much still, whereas I could look a bit more at the painting to get the right shapes. I am happy with how the petals come together, but I'll most likely do a Photoshop pass over all the textures to boost the textures and add in some more paint effects.

blue iris