Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Ravens Beak

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
ImsumDave polycounter lvl 11
Critiques and comments welcome. I will be making a game-res, low-poly asset aiming for modern technical standards.

Final renders will go here

Replies

• ImsumDave
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been posting WIPs in my sketchbook. Thought I should break this out into it's own thread. Here are the WIPs so far. I'll be posting updates here from here forward.

[Posted February 1 2021]
    My concept sketch:

[Posted February 4 2021]

Most details are subject to change. Blade swirl is a displacement map and blade fuller details are floaters. I haven't quite found the grip shape I want. It's a bit too round as is, which is good for comfort, but in this case not so good for aesthetics IMO.

[Posted February 5 2021]

I'm trying out projecting mesh shapes from multiple subtools onto another into separate layers, allowing me to change larger forms of the handle while keeping my sculpted details (bodge job atm). The blade fuller is a displacement map which I've been tweaking in Photoshop, adding details and textures.

[Posted February 10 2021]
    Added some feathers to my chopper. Used this tut to do it.

I've moved on adding sculpted details in zbrush. I applied my displacement maps to the blade.
  • ImsumDave
    Offline / Send Message
    Started work on the sheath.

You may be asking how the hell the sword slides into this thing. Well, the top edge is open along most of it's length, except near the tip. The bottom edge is connected (sewed closed) along it's entire length.
  • ImsumDave
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the textures

• Sequence
    Offline / Send Message
    Sequence triangle
    Looks great! Love the curvature of the blade and the added feathers.
  • ImsumDave
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sequence
    Thanks! I need to explore ways to get the feathers to look good in a lower poly form. I really like how they came out and have a few ideas about how I might use them in the final presentation scene.
  • ImsumDave
    Offline / Send Message
    feathers and leathers...traps

• ImsumDave
    Offline / Send Message
    I found an old raven skull sculpt I had made for an abandoned project. It was fairly blobby so I sculpted some more detail into it. I might find some use for it in this project.

This is high poly feathers and skull rendered in MT3:

• ImsumDave
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the sheath, low poly with textures in MT3:

• ImsumDave
    Offline / Send Message
    Textures in Skyrim LE. I plan to release this as a mod.

• ImsumDave
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a quest item for the Skyrim mod. It will have an animation that will give the player a clue toward the path to finding the sword in-game. I sketched a concept and tried to modelled it fairly quickly. It is only a throw away quest item so I didn't want spend too much time on it. I want to experiment with some smart materials and tiling materials as a base for textures. Hopefully I can get decent results without too much manual texture tweaking.

High poly with tiled material in Marmoset Toolbag 4:

• ImsumDave
    Offline / Send Message
    I used the "brass patina" and "ceramic glazed" stock smart materials in Toolbag 4 to get quick textures for this. I converted the PBR texture set into something that will work in Skyrim.

Materials in Nifskope 2.0