Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: MrBiscuits

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
MrBiscuitsz polycounter lvl 4
Hello! Finally decided to start of sketchbook and document my progress as I learn Houdini and various other tools.

I'm more than happy to hear any constructed criticism as I do want to improve.

So my first task was to model a prop, in this case a gun.

Currently working on the first pass but so far it's looking alright.

Once I've finish modelling the prop, my aim is to import the model into substance painter and texture it as that is another tool I've been meaning to learn.

Gun is based off of Fernando Correa design - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/KaJDmW

Replies

• MrBiscuitsz
    Offline / Send Message
    Focused on some heightmaps today. I had a couple of issues with the pistol model so I'm currently fixing that.

So to focus on something different I created a barren/rocky map. I really enjoy using the heightmap tools in Houdini, so I'm going to focus more on those when I can,

• MrBiscuitsz
    Offline / Send Message
    And another crater heightmap, not as detailed as the last heightmap but this is was on a much smaller scale. I'm going to re-attempt this as I want more detail and try some mantra rendering.
  • MrBiscuitsz
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking much better, I'm calling this done for now. Next up I'll try and render this using mantra and try and set up a cinematic shot.

• MrBiscuitsz
    Offline / Send Message
    Another environment piece but using a grid instead of a heightmap. 

I learned to do this from a Gnomon Workshop tutorial and I learned a lot. I'll be focusing on something more original in the coming days.

• MrBiscuitsz
    Offline / Send Message
    Continuing with more height fields in Houdini, this time I created a canyon. I aim to texture this in the Unreal engine and add rocks, grass and other props onto the map. Plus I'll add some basic lighting, atmospheric fog etc. I'm aiming to have this as a portfolio piece.

Thanks for reading.
  • MrBiscuitsz
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a while but I should be back to regular updates. Alongside learning Houdini I also started learning substance designer which is also really enjoyable and I'm able to make simple but nice-looking textures.

I'm going to dive into substance designer and see how that goes.

• MrBiscuitsz
    Offline / Send Message
    This week I updated the rock material that I created last week and I created another rock material. The first material is going to be used on a wall and the second material is going to be sued on the ground/floor.

I need to make 1 more wall material and I should be good!

These materials are going to be used for my new houdini tool which is a draw-yourself-a-dungeon-layout and I like to see how well it works as one of its functions is that the tool allows you to add materials to a ready UV set up. So the idea is with the tool you only need to swap assets/materials and you can have an etierely different game/art direction wihtout the need to write a whole new tool.

However it needs testing and I hope to show that off next week.
  • MrBiscuitsz
    Offline / Send Message
    Final finished my dungeon layout tool which was created using Houdini.

Using the curve tool, the user plots the layout, and once complete the tool will generate the layout props on the floor and walls. The tool will randomize the props that have been added so, so for example here it has barrels, light, switches, etc and for the walls a window, doors, etc.

The tool allows the user to manually move the doors around the layout, the tool allows for additionals doors if the user so desires. 

The tool also allows the user to add traps, holes onto the floor if they so desired. The tool also allows the use of pillars that will only appear on the edge/corners of the tool. Of course, if you don't want them they can be disabled.

And the tool is ready for the user to add textures, variations would make this look better but it panels correctly. It also has a roof function so once you've made the tool layout you can then toggle the roof on once you're happy with the layout.

I always wanted to make a tool so I could create my own dungeon something like from Legend of Zelda or Binding of Issac.