Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portafolio Critique

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Gigante polycounter lvl 7
Hi

I am an aspiring video game 3D modeler for video games, I have put together a portfolio. I am not sending this portfolio to anyone yet because I want to get some feedback first.

https://www.artstation.com/gigantelnd

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Hello Felix, 

Hopefully you'll respond to the critique. As to make it in this industry you gotta have thick skin and take advice, criticism, feedback and engagement as honest as you can. Sure there be trolls in them there hills...but you'll have to decide for yourself. 

Currently your portfolio does not represent a hirable candidate. Nothing in your current portfolio demonstrates a deep knowledge of composition, lighting, form, appeal, character (yes even environment props can have character), and modeling proficiency and complexity. 

Some examples.  

Small Mexican town - lighting doesn't work, too dark in a lot of areas, too overblown in others. The architecture on the building itself doesn't give me any real indication of time period, style, accurate details, worn aspects, scale or believability. (YOURS)
    Just doing a small google search I found these images. Key take aways.....

Better composition and night lighting: (WHAT COULD BE)

More accurate reference to your buildings:

(Notice on the image above the light fixtures, the different ground materials, the areas where the buildings meet the ground, there is almost always a transition via color, trim, foundation or material. Paying attention to these details and making them convincing will improve your work.
    You should never have full black in your lighting, it's harsh to look at and as a general rule of thumb set your ambient light/sky light to a good value range (can be dark or near black...but never fully black, and then add your directional and point/spot lights. Setting the ambient/sky light first is like the base of a cake, the rest of the stuff is just frosting...without a good base you won't ever have successful lighting as the foundation will be difficult to work with. 
    Again, reference...understanding what you're crafting. You're the director, story teller, architect, cinematographer, lighting technician, and designer all in one if you're pursuing environment art. You have to wear all those hats, 

Your bar/restaurant interior. It currently looks oppressive. Was this on purpose? Was that the feeling you wanted to portray? (YOURS)

Here's another take.....Look at the following images...
    How would something like this make the scene feel? Not the right tone? Too expensive, too open, too fancy? Or is it perfect? (WHAT COULD BE)

Or is this more the right tone? Older, worn in, mix of old and new? Less open?

Or a little mix of both? 

Or outdoors? 

See how each of these images (potential environments) tell their own story? The lighting, composition and props all assist in telling that story. The viewer starts to understand where they are, the time period, the time of day, the threat level, the feeling of exploration, or the feeling of dread. There are so many factors at play, but you can make artistic decisions to inform your audience on the tone and atmosphere you're trying to convince them of. 

I'd suggest doing a massive re-set on your portfolio. Find an image you like either concept or something like above, and really research what you are trying to create. Find really good reference from a variety of places, make a mood board and probably focus on an interior as it'll be easier to light and probably less props depending on what you're trying to pull off. 

Currently nothing in your portfolio would wow a potential art director into convincing them to hire you for a job when you consider your competition. Spend some time in the Polycount I just got hired thread. HERE  <-- Link This is your competition for jobs, you have to exceed or match their quality, attention to detail, proficiency, and most of all have something unique to say with your art. Sure a few props to show you can nail down a concept, or match a pre-existing asset art/direction is always good. Yet, if you can do that and have original work, you're starting to tell your own stories with your work; you'll become someone who will get noticed. You can't make that leap without paying your dues, and that starts with good fundamentals and working on the things I highlighted above. 

Reset, find a good project or enter an environment monthly challenge here on polycount, and really start to pump some polygon iron. You gotta get a strong core, you're still on baby food, gotta get strong, get to solids. Keep going, you'll get there...just need to fail, accept these failures as lessons, and keep going. 

Good luck.