Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[FINISHED] Desert Temple

cello8080
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
cello8080 polycounter lvl 4
Hello everyone :) 

Im going to document this project a lot better than the previous one. I want to avoid posting when I'm so far into a project and start this one from the ground up. So here is the blockout :) Will start with macro shapes first to help visualize the scene. So thinking of starting with rock sculpts and taking it from there!

Replies

• cello8080
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on this project - Because the rock cliffs take up so much real estate I decided to start with this first as it will help me get an idea of the direction I'm heading in :) once in engine I added some detail maps using the RGB workflow

• cello8080
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Happy with hows the cliffs are reading, Im moving onto some architectural elements! First thing I've tackled is the temple door. 

• kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    those clyffs look pretty good. Did you achieve that scene all with those two clyff models?
    The door looks amazing, though i feel like some of that finer detail will be to noisy, once baked down and textured.
  • cello8080
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg said:
    those clyffs look pretty good. Did you achieve that scene all with those two clyff models?
    The door looks amazing, though i feel like some of that finer detail will be to noisy, once baked down and textured.
    Thanks man :) its actually just one cliff model, the second picture is just showing the backside. I do plan to add some smaller rocks for the ground but did this first as its much more important at this stage :) I am also concerned about the small detail but the door is much bigger than a regular door so I'm hoping the details will hold up. Time will reveal all :P
  • kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    cello8080 said:
    kohg said:
    Thanks man :) its actually just one cliff model, the second picture is just showing the backside. I do plan to add some smaller rocks for the ground but did this first as its much more important at this stage :) I am also concerned about the small detail but the door is much bigger than a regular door so I'm hoping the details will hold up. Time will reveal all :P
    impressive, how much you can achieve with that one piece. looking forward to see the scene progress.
  • valentin_baguirov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valentin_baguirov polycounter lvl 3
    Dude, this is gonna be pretty sick, I bet.
  • cello8080
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taking a small break from sculpting. decided to texture the door to help get a feel for how the details will read. they seem to be holding up ok :)  next is to test out my trim sheet on some architecture, post coming soon!

• cello8080
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so this is a bit of a catchup post, I have been playing with a bunch of compositions since the original scope of the project was too large (who woulda thought huh) 

Before I went smaller I actually added more to the scene, but soon after I realised that the project is too big

I changed my main camera to be more focused on the temple. This was ok for a while but was still not quite enough trimming.

I tried changing up the composition a little which felt okay but in the back of my head I knew this wasnt solving the core problem (trying to scale the project down) but I kept with it and started adding textures, foliage and lighting to get a better feel of where I was at. 

Eventually I finally made the call to really reduce the amount of work and rather push the quality of what I have, sort out a solid comp with decent lighting and Im much happier with the progress of this project because of it. Sometimes less is more :) 

And so here we arrive at the current state of the project. Next is to sort out the landscape and get a more final look with the lighting so I can really start to add detail to the scene

• cello8080
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, So I finished up this project :) There are some more renders and videos on my artstation!
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ykl9v8

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
  • KrashDer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KrashDer polycounter lvl 3
    nice sculpt on the rock ! 
  • Pharaoh_rameses
    Options