Home Technical Talk

Best practices for making proportionally accurate models

vzdragon
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
vzdragon polycounter lvl 6
So this is something I've been struggling with at work. Whether it be the arch of a headboard isn't as smooth as the reference, the spacing in-between parts of the model are too wide/small compared to the reference. This part isn't as thick/thin.

You get the idea. What are so tips you have that help you always nail proportions? Sometimes I try measuring with a pen by closing one eye but that doesn't help too much. I've also tried cropping identifiable features in PS then copy/pasting that part of a cross the ref to try and figure out proportions that way. 

Replies

• Yerus
    Offline / Send Message
    Yerus polycounter lvl 4
    Put a background image and in orthographic view block out the model.
  • birb
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    Measuring by eye is a skill acquired through practice, there's no way around it. In the meanwhile you can use measurement apps to work out the dimensions in images whenever you need precision, eg image meter.
  • vzdragon
    Offline / Send Message
    Yerus said:
    Put a background image and in orthographic view block out the model.
    This becomes harder when all you have for references are quarter angles or dramatic hero shots. I've tried using perspective matching tool in 3ds max but that's never 100% there's also the discrepancy in camera settings 
  • vzdragon
    Offline / Send Message
    birb said:
    Measuring by eye is a skill acquired through practice, there's no way around it. In the meanwhile you can use measurement apps to work out the dimensions in images whenever you need precision, eg image meter.

I'll try out that program and continue to improve my skill at measuring by eye
  • Eric Chadwick
    If it's a real object, you can try searching for more references. Reverse image search is a favorite of mine, both google and bing have it.

Often the owner's manual will have ortho views.
  • vzdragon
    Offline / Send Message
    If it's a real object, you can try searching for more references. Reverse image search is a favorite of mine, both google and bing have it.

Often the owner's manual will have ortho views.
    Haha hey Eric :) I didn't consider looking for owners manuals on the site for the product. I'll keep that in mind for the next fix!. I think I also need to continue to work on measuring proportions by eye especially for products that don't have side shots