Home Career & Education

What to say about your work projects in your portfolio?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Oblivion2500 polycounter lvl 6
I have an artstation portfolio. I"m in the process of getting ready to upgrade to a plus or pro membership and build a website. I do notice for each project you can type a description. What's should be the description? Is a good description important? Besides talking about what software was used, what else should I say about each piece? 

Replies

• Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    I wouldn't personally bother upgrading your account just to make a website. Whenever I am reviewing portfolios and someone sends a link like that.. I usually will just look for the button that takes me to the standard community portfolio. I don't want to deal with weird layouts / color palettes etc.

As far as descriptions, say whatever you feel you need to say. It's great to state your objective and what skills you employed in the project. Like if you were practicing modularity or trim sheets, toss it in. Do NOT talk yourself down or say it could be better or blah blah. That all being said, unless it's a really strong piece, I would wager that most people aren't even going to bother to read the description.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    100% agree with the above
  • Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't personally bother upgrading your account just to make a website. Whenever I am reviewing portfolios and someone sends a link like that.. I usually will just look for the button that takes me to the standard community portfolio. I don't want to deal with weird layouts / color palettes etc.
    What if the website is really simple and clean? Straight to the point? No weird layout or bs. Also, I kind of want to upgrade to Plus or Pro just for the extra views and 4K uploads. Right now I don't have a job and anything will help me and if spending $84 for a year of Plus will help me even a tiny bit of landing my first job as an environment artist. I think it might be worth it as long I don't make my website be confusing or scare away employers. 
    As far as descriptions, say whatever you feel you need to say. It's great to state your objective and what skills you employed in the project. Like if you were practicing modularity or trim sheets, toss it in. Do NOT talk yourself down or say it could be better or blah blah. That all being said, unless it's a really strong piece, I would wager that most people aren't even going to bother to read the description.
    So basically something like "I used software x y z, my goal was to challenge myself to push my skills on modularity, trim sheets, and efficient texture creation. I also wanted to level up my skills with environment lighting. etc." Post some screenshots of breakdown or block modeling or texture uv maps or modular props, etc. 
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    "What if the website is really simple and clean? Straight to the point? No weird layout or bs."

You just summed up the non-website version of ArtStation. I truly do not think having an upgraded account correlates with raising your chances of getting a job. That $84 could buy you a couple quality tutorials or Timothy Dries' (Beyond Extent) environment art pdf.. and you'd still have some left over for a bag of coffee beans to help you get through them.
  • Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "What if the website is really simple and clean? Straight to the point? No weird layout or bs."

You just summed up the non-website version of ArtStation. I truly do not think having an upgraded account correlates with raising your chances of getting a job. That $84 could buy you a couple quality tutorials or Timothy Dries' (Beyond Extent) environment art pdf.. and you'd still have some left over for a bag of coffee beans to help you get through them.
    Okay fair enough 😅. What about a resume or cv letter? I notice that you can't upload a resume or cv unless you have plus or pro. Would that just be uploaded in the job application you apply for?
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Yup! Keep in mind though, the portfolio is king. Toss in some networking and a bit of luck as well. 

I feel like cover letters are something that Human Resources asks for so they can print it out and place it in a folder to never be looked at again. Similar for a resume.. these aren't the things that get you a job.