Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Viking Axe. My first work!

thisisartem
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
thisisartem polycounter lvl 2
Just finished my first artwork and I would love to hear what you think about it.
It seems to me that my textures not as good as everything else, what do you think? Critics are welcome here!
More screenshots you can find here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZG9Bx0

Replies

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Hey, nice work.
    The metal dents and surface imperfections make it look more like stone. If you wanted to give it that hammered look i suggest scaling that displacement up or finding another way to mimic metal construction. Maybe run that noise through a non uniform blur.
    The leather and wood combo is not very pleasant due to having almost the same color. I would try to make the wood brighter or yellow-ish to be a bit more different than the reddish leather.
    The leather edge wear is very uniform and doesnt make sense to me. I would expect a lot of wear on the straps that are more exposed (on top of other strap parts) and the bottom layer of straps to be less worn. Just a nitpick tho.
  • thisisartem
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 said:
    Hey, nice work.
    The metal dents and surface imperfections make it look more like stone. If you wanted to give it that hammered look i suggest scaling that displacement up or finding another way to mimic metal construction. Maybe run that noise through a non uniform blur.
    The leather and wood combo is not very pleasant due to having almost the same color. I would try to make the wood brighter or yellow-ish to be a bit more different than the reddish leather.
    The leather edge wear is very uniform and doesnt make sense to me. I would expect a lot of wear on the straps that are more exposed (on top of other strap parts) and the bottom layer of straps to be less worn. Just a nitpick tho.
    Thank you for your feedback! Now that you said, I can really see that my colors are pretty similar, should make more variety next time. And about edge wear, uh, why didn't I thought about it by myself, it would make my work much better. Thank you a lot, and good luck with your artwork!
  • Jean_Pierre_Varg
    Starting strong! i agree about the metal surface, it seems like it's not exactly metal. But it´s still visually appealing! Nice job!
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I think your metal looks fine. Looks great, especially for your first work.
  • thisisartem
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting strong! i agree about the metal surface, it seems like it's not exactly metal. But it´s still visually appealing! Nice job!
    Thank you!
  • thisisartem
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your metal looks fine. Looks great, especially for your first work.
    Thank you. I will try to continue at the same pace and do something better next time taking into account the feedback!