Home Technical Talk

[3ds Max] Any way to make to be able to turn on/off the constrain between biped-bone?

Hello! Now I am working on a rigging of a monster, but facing a big issue.
Animators already finished all animations with biped rigged file.  But this monster is gonna be half-sliced when it's attacked. so I made a new rig with bones from spine to upper( down from pelvis is biped) with a half-cutted model.

And here is a issue, putting existed animations to new(bone) rig is kinda complex and brings a baaad quality of anim because some of pivots are different, new rig has double spine bones, double head bones...etc  so animations are not fit correctly

Animators wants to make the rig that bones following the biped. this is totally fine but they also wants rig with bones that is able to be animate. so both biped and bones need to be keep its hierarchy, but bones also need to follow the biped exactly same from frame to frame what animators want. 

If I work this in Maya it would be not complex like this but in Max, I have no idea  :'(
I tried Link constrain, and link. of course these two are not a correct way. I tried to use a parameter but also not worked. 
Anyone have any idea for this issue? I am a pretty new to the max and still a lot of things are so strange to me

Replies

• coven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coven polycounter lvl 6
    You could do a similar workflow as blending a FK/IK rig. Have a bone system that you animate on top of biped and have another set of bones that are constrained between the biped and the other animated bones. Add a custom attribute and wire parameters the weights to the custom attribute.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I agree. 

You skin to a deformation rig that blends it's constraints between the biped and another full rig that drives the animation after the character is cut in half (or whatever)

Working like this has a lot of benefits - not least that you separate the topology of the deformation rig from the topology of the animation rig.